• Register Today It's free!

Shiver me Timbers..

redemption5525

Reaction score
City, State
colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Well, after deliberation and a lot of insight$$$... My list Just got finalized and a smiley face was signed.

4" Super lift
3" BL

TOTAL PRICE: $3349.52

! Nice right? QUESTIONS..

Ive been searching and have seen a few talks of installing the super lifts.. and body lifts.. I would like to tackle this my self.. have a few friends that know automobiles.. I am going to start my project by doing the lifts first. Tires will come after I have installed the lifts.. Why? Because with the 7" of lift my stock tires will look gross. Thus forcing me into buying the tires.. and not feeling guilty bwuahahaha.

1. Am a noob.. is it possible for me to follow instructions and do this myself?
2. Tool list, and all applicable workings would be greatly appriciated.
3. Next pay check is going to make me an elite among other things.. Thank you everyone.
4. Why have super lifts gone from 1,400 in march of 07 to damn near 2200 in november of 08??? Very dissapointed, I wish I would have known i was going to aquire an ex and bought my kit 3 years ago lol.

And finally.

If there is anyone on here that knows where to find the K494 kit for cheap.. that would be great.. or if anyone is selling complete... in good conditon... let me know please! Thank you all.

Redemption5525 = Matt
Future Elite. No longer Wannabe.:salute::D:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you didnt buy it yet, did you? i would buy the rcd kit instead of the superlift. the only reason i have the superlift kit, is rcd didnt have one when i got mine

I would only buy a superlift kit if I got an awsome deal on a used one. Otherwise, get the RCD like Premier suggested.
Also it seems like 7" of lift is a bit extreme for 33's. Why not just use a suspension lift for 33's?
Have you factored in money to re-gear? Because it's going to be a dog with stock gears and overwork your engine/transmission pretty hard.

see now thats funny because I was askin the other day about regearin and was told not to worry about it until i went bigger than 33's.. glad you said something, and the RCD kit is likehe lift 3,000.00 isnt it? Id be using the lift kit they have for98-02 rangers right?

PC240282.jpg

4" suspension
3" BL
33" tires

I Dunno this doesnt Seem so Overkill? Im asking honest opinions here, you know way more than I do so I am all ears, not being a sarcastic a-hole lol.

see now thats funny because I was askin the other day about regearin and was told not to worry about it until i went bigger than 33's.. glad you said something, and the RCD kit is likehe lift 3,000.00 isnt it? Id be using the lift kit they have for98-02 rangers right?

well, what is your stock gearing? i regeared to 4.10 with my 33's because i was planning on driving it on the road quite a bit. do you plan on this as a dd still or weekend wheeler?

Hmm... thats a good question. I live in colorado, so I would love to keep it as a daily driver.. stock right now is 3.73 I believe

if you have the v6 33s are going to make it a dog. 33s with the 5.0 is still a little slow. if you feel comfortable with a little bit of welding, RCD kit hands down (if you plan to wheel a lot). if you want to keep it on the road most the time, and up to the mountains here and there, superlift will be just fine. anything above 33s you will have to regear because your transmission wont be long for this world otherwise. where at in CO are you?

Denver/Centennial area, Im comfortable with welding, Re gearin yeah or no, im not going to go bigger than 33's..

i would regear to 4.10's. i like my superlift kit, it rides better than stock, but it has low front cross member clearance, and it drops the torsion bars lower.

rcd kit eliminates the torsion bars, and replaces them with coilovers.

My $1.05...

If this isn't a wheeler, why spend so much on a lift? If you're just going for looks, you can do the torsion twist, shackles and body lift and save the $3k to spend on regearing and other mods worth putting into this truck.

Agree w/ Froader..somewhat.. The EB in that picture is AMAZING and if I had the money I'd do it wheeler or not. Especially if your NOT wheeling it I'd go w/ the 4.10's since you'd be driving it ont he street. Atleast you'll be able to get out of your own way. What's an extra 500 bucks when your spending that much already?

Those 33's don't look bad. However, those are super swampers which are actually closer to 34's.

My $1.05...

If this isn't a wheeler, why spend so much on a lift? If you're just going for looks, you can do the torsion twist, shackles and body lift and save the $3k to spend on regearing and other mods worth putting into this truck.

I agree. If you're just going for looks. Do what he said. Just be sure to get the gap fillers for the BL. You can still wheel it. Don't waste your money on 3k lift if your not gonna wheel regularly.

I'm with Froader, if you just want 33s you could probably do the TT, shackles and a body lift and some minor trimming and it would fit and sit higher, not 7" higher like that, but again, if you're not actually off-roading it save the thousands for better stuff, gears would be one of the most important, personally I'd go bigger than 4.10s though, just to get a little more grunt in the low end. But that's me. Good luck either way, this site does a good job giving you projects and ways to spend your money.

your not gonna wheel with it ???? save the $3k

You could still wheel pretty hard with the setup I mentioned.

I know you said you've been researching, but in case you haven't read this thread yet, do so. Gerald's truck has done a lot of the toughest in the country all with just a TT, shackles and a body lift. Not to mention fitting 35s.

It's worth reading every word (of Gerald's at least :)).
Gerald's "Herc" U.S. Tour

Here is his registry as well.
1999 Explorer "Herc"

Save the money and get cool things like:
  • cb
  • roof rack
  • aux lights
  • seat covers
  • hula girl for the dash
  • an elite membership :p:
  • recovery equipment
  • winch
  • paint?
  • exhaust
  • lap dances
  • etc...

I am going to wheel with it lol.. I said i would like to keep it my daily driver as well, what i mean but not wheelin much with it is that I am most likely going to only be able to go on the weekends.. And hahaha I will be going elite as soon as friday...

Its not just for looks, I do plan wheeling with it, but I too would like to drive it every day. Im just bored right now, have to take the year off from school, recieveing full scholarship offers from 4 different schools for lacrosse, want to do something nice for my car, I paid $0.00, so i figured investing $3K into it will not already raise the value of the ex i have, but If there comes a day that i need or have to sell this thing, my 3K invesment could turn into 5 or 6K from some high schooler who wants a bad as lifted exploder. Lol call me crazy, my justification isnt the greatest but this is by no means JUST FOR LOOKS. Maybe a little bit, not to please other people though, for myself. And then for Four wheelin, just wont be able to go more than 2 days out of th week for the next two years, college sporting is like a job.

I love this damn site, so may people giving good advice, talking people out of stupid things, and into them ::D:, Im pretty set on the superlift and tires though. I already have the b & M Hammer Shifter Installed, in the process of building the custom center console around it too make it look stock the thing is sweet.

Back