Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers

Just finished the rear axle today, SOA with Aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Rear springs are shot from towing and still need to be replaced. Also I need to weld shock mounts on the axle. This will all be done after the front axle is installed. It is a HP Dana 30 with gears and a locker to be added in a few months. Front suspension will be a Y-link with XJ coils and Ballistic brackets. Steering and panhard will be stock XJ for now. Tires are 33/12.5/15 Interco Truxus M/Ts on Soft 8 wheels with stock Ford center caps.

08-07-08_2019.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i want to do that, but why full width D44?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

More stability mostly, and it's easier and cheaper than cutting down an axle. I probably will cut down the D44 when I get one, to 2-3" wider than stock Ex width.

Wasted tonight futzing around with another hand throttle design. It utilizes the E-brake assembly from a 96 Neon (since I had it around). I'm not sure if I'll use it or not, it's kind of bulky and my space is extremely limited. I'm leaning towards finding a throttle for a lawn mower, I think it would be perfect.

Need to get those ball joints done but I'm waiting on my neighbor to lend me his hydraulic press.

Yeah I tried that type first but didn't like it. No way to hide the cable. Then tried a "grip shift" type, I was going to stick it behind the dash with a knob for control. I wasn't able to fine tune it enough though, each click was a 2k rpm jump.

But oh so tempting to get a D44. Theres a 79 Bronco at the JY right now... $90... I really should just go get it...

I did get gas tank and transfer case skids, second set of shafts for the 8.8 and D30, power steering pump from a F150, auto trans cooler from an Ex for a power steering cooler, and some misc stuff.

Also grabbed a set of 8.8 disc brake assemblies, they are very rare and are grabbed up quickly. A 96 had just come in this morning. I'll save them for my next axle upgrade so I can sell my current 8.8 hub to hub to the Jeep guys for big $$$. How does full width D44 and 8.8 sound? :chug:

Why do you want a Dana 44 so much? I think you HP Dana 30 is very comprible to a Dana 44 (especially a 79 f150 44). 44s use 5-760X joints just like the later Dana 30s. Sounds like you already upgraded to those type of shafts too. There are plenty of Jeep guys running 30s with 35s locked up. MY brothers XJ is running that axle with 33s locked up and he is really hard on them. My buddy is running that axle in his TJ with 35s and an arb and he breaks a ujoint here and there.

My point? It is the same joint, and you will break that joint in the 44 too.

Your link setup is sweet, you have a compact, proven setup right now. I would run it. If you get some money, buy some chromos and some superjoints. I just made that purchase for my 44. I was breaking u joints.

The only argument for the 44 is lockouts. Not that big of a deal if you ask me. Gas mileage is too minor to be mentioned. Research reactions to the warn Dana 30 kit. No mileage benefits seen from people who installed this kit. It is nice to disco the front if you break something.

Why do you want a Dana 44 so much?

Because my end goal for tire size is a 36". Those on a locked D30 with the weight of the X is suicide. Besides the fact that a D30 can't run the gears needed to push 36's. I don't mind replacing a u-joint here and there, but it's only a matter of time before the tiny ring gear goes. That will be a $300+ bill and something I won't have to worry about with a D44.

Got my hand throttle done (red lever). It's a friction lever so it stays at the RPM you set it. Have also been installing a overhead console but not much else, been fixing my gf's sister's van which hit a cow which is taking some time.

10-19-08_1723.jpg

Good enough explaination! The ring gear makes some sense. I still know all kinds of people who beat on 30s with no problems but ujoints. If you are building a 44, I would go with a 77 or 76 F150 axle. They have welded on cbushing mounts and 1/2" axle tubes like a Dana 60. Then I would cut off the cbushings and weld on some TNT customs Jeep brackets and run your current setup.

I have a hand throttle that is a shifter for a 10 speed. It has a wing nut type deal down the middle. I can tighten that and it will work like yours set it and it stays. I can loosen it and it goes back and forth. I have found that it is useful both ways. I have also found that it is no substitute for gears! My clutch doesn't like my hand throttle. I need to get my doubler done!

I dig your pinned upper arm. Have you ran it with out the arm? I bet you get some serious travel. I know a bunch of guys who run the RE long arm kit without a passenger upper. Same concept as the wristed EB arm. I haven't seen a quick disco upper though. Cool idea.

If you are building a 44, I would go with a 77 or 76 F150 axle. They have welded on cbushing mounts and 1/2" axle tubes like a Dana 60. Then I would cut off the cbushings and weld on some TNT customs Jeep brackets and run your current setup.

Good call, I'll have to keep an eye out.

I dig your pinned upper arm. Have you ran it with out the arm? I bet you get some serious travel. I know a bunch of guys who run the RE long arm kit without a passenger upper. Same concept as the wristed EB arm. I haven't seen a quick disco upper though. Cool idea.

I removed the pins because they rattled too much and used bolts instead. Even with both uppers I have all the travel I need anyway. If I had kept the pins I imagine some rubber washers or something would have help the rattles.

Since the last update I've bought a Lock Right for the front, a T-Max 9k winch, and a Optima battery. :D Don't know when I'll get them installed though. Also put my good set of JY springs in the rear today and it rides soo nice now. Didn't get any extra lift out of them like I expected though, might have lost a hair. I took out the overload leaves too. A 3 degree shim took care of the vibes I was having at 70+. And my overhead console install is nearly complete, just a couple more wires to hook up.

Looks like I'm moving halfway across the country this weekend for a new job, so no more work will be done for a while.

New pic! :D

10-24-08_1754.jpg

Good luck with the move and new job!!!

what do you do for work, and where are you moving to?

what do you do for work, and where are you moving to?

I'm a maintenance tech now (NOT a janitor) and I'll be an oiler on a pipeline. It's in Ohio.

Haven't been up any ramps yet so I gave this one I found a quick try. Didn't disco the swaybar but ran out of ramp before I needed to anyway.

10-30-08_1333.jpg

10-30-08_1335.jpg

10-30-08_1336.jpg

10-30-08_1337.jpg

10-30-08_1338.jpg

10-30-08_1339.jpg

10-30-08_1340.jpg

10-30-08_1341.jpg

Flexed out. I was on top of the rock but my rear tire lifted. I'm severely shock limited, but I already knew that. Need at least 4" more shock in the front and 2" in the back.

11-09-08_1333.jpg

11-09-08_1335.jpg

awesome build you don't happen to have the the dimensions on those rock sliders written down do you. man I'm lazy hahaha ha nice build even if you don't

Sorry, I didn't write them down. Tell you what though, it was a pain in the ass since there few 90* angles, I've got some 80 and 85's in there. And both sides are not identical to further complicate things.

And I just love showing off this pic. :D

11-14-08_1448.jpg

So is that passenger coil a super-flex detachable coil?

;)

So is that passenger coil a super-flex detachable coil?

;)

Yeah... anyways... still working on that.

Did get some new RS5000's in the front. Converted the D30 from the two piece disconnect shaft to a one piece and installed the front Lock-Right.

And found some mud!

11-23-08_1554.jpg

Nice job man!

I installed a lockright this weekend too, but it wouldn't release even in 2WD. All told, I drove it less than 200 yards and broke all 4 pins. Hope you have better luck, but then, I did buy mine used and had to remove 2 busted pins...

Ouch! Mine seems to be working perfectly, I like it much better than my Aussie. Clicks softly (only hear it with windows down and idling) around corners and only reduced my turning radius in 4wd by 3ft. Best of all, no loud bangs!

Back