Transmission fluid leaking from radiators...cost? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leaking from radiators...cost?

Mneofreek

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cites, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 V8 XLT AWD
I noticed that I have some transmission fluid leaking from the radiator. It is coming from the passenger side where the two lines come in/out. The leak appears to be pretty sever because I get about a drip every second.

Is the problem likely to be just a gasket/seal? Or have there been known problems with the lines or radiator? Any idea how much it will cost to get it fixed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that I have some transmission fluid leaking from the radiator. It is coming from the passenger side where the two lines come in/out. The leak appears to be pretty sever because I get about a drip every second.

Is the problem likely to be just a gasket/seal? Or have there been known problems with the lines or radiator? Any idea how much it will cost to get it fixed?

Have you tried tightening the tranny lines going in and out of the radiator? You could also try tranny stop leak.

Have you tried tightening the tranny lines going in and out of the radiator? You could also try tranny stop leak.

I took off the big plastic radiator protector and found that the leak was coming from a hose clamp. I tightened it up about a 1/4 turn. It didn't want to go much more. I hope this works.

This is the last warm day of the year so I will need to bring it into the shop if this failed to stop the leak.

I went out driving again and noticed that it is still leaking. Is there any temporary fix I can do?...other than the stop leak?

I highly recommend to stay away from stop leak additives as they create more problems than solving the original problem properly. Your cooler could be plugged or your hoses are worn out.

Back