• Register Today It's free!

rattleing noise

rbbaker

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 1992 XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT with 4.6L. It makes a rattling noise from somewhere near the front when the engine hits 2350 to 2450 rpm under load. It does this regardless of what gear the truck is in or what the road speed is. I am sure it is something that may have come loose, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and could possibly point me in the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever figure out your rattle? My '03 Limited has a noise in a similar RPM range.

I have an '02 XLT with the same rattling noise coming from the front at the same RPM range...

I can't figure out what it is either... anyone have any ideas???

Did you ever figure out your rattle? My '03 Limited has a noise in a similar RPM range.

well i am not 100% sure but i had the same rattling noise and it turned out to be the little metal brackets holding the brake pads in place...

One of them came loose in the front and after i trimmed it a bit the noise went away... Could be that under load condition caused the vibration... not sure

three days now the noise went away... Its might be worth a try...it was driving me insane...

I have an '02 XLT with the same rattling noise coming from the front at the same RPM range...

I can't figure out what it is either... anyone have any ideas???

Welcome to the site!

A quick update for those who may find themselves at this thread.

I had my catalytic converter replaced today, and my mysterious rattle is gone. I'm no expert on the exhaust system, but I'm guessing a shield or exhaust component was responsible for my rattle.

I have not been on for a while, sorry about slow response. The problem was a broken heat shield for the catalytic converter. Removed the shield and the noise was gone,

Back