• Register Today It's free!

Tow Monster

robertgu

Reaction score
City, State
Cerritos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4x4 V8
I live in hilly California and I tow right at my 7000lb limit with my '04 XLT, 4x4, V8 with the Class 3 tow package.

This added weight is a recent occurrence, what I really need is a larger truck; but since Explorer’s are reselling for a hill of beans now-a-days and the fact that my truck is in great condition I’m ready to pony up some mods to improve it’s towing performance and reliability. I can use some help.

I already installed the largest tranny cooler I could wedge into the front end. It comes with a 180 degree thermostat triggering the largest fan I can attach to it. I also have an engine oil cooler using a 180 degree thermostat bypass system to divert oil to it when it reaches temp.

Now I’m rdy to attack the performance mods for towing and I am looking for the best bang for the buck. First off, I’m looking for a chip or programmer that will adjust the line pressures and shift points to reduce the heat build up during heavy towing; gaining more ft/lbs of torque is the second priority. Is bamachips programming from Explorer Express the best place to get a tow specific tune?

I’m also looking to get an intake and headers. Which brand and model for each can u recommend for tow specific goals? I don’t care about top end HP, just low end torque.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look up...

BAMA CHIPS

XCAL2 or 3

K&N or MAC INTAKES

TORQUE MONSTER HEADERS

FLOWMASTER or MAC or GIBSON or MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST

heres a good start...

Danny

Power adders will only help destroy the drivetrain -- you can minimize this by going with a lower gear ratio (the IRS rear axle already has a high turnover rate). Expect to spend at least $1k on it though (parts + labor). But this would be my first step -- then you can slap on the easy power adders afterwards.

Another solution is to buy an old(er) turbo diesel truck and leave the Explorer for other purposes. This might make more sense in the very long run since you can add 100+ ft/lbs of torque and 50+ horsepower to a turbo diesel for a mere $300-$400. It would take you thousands more to do the same to an Explorer but then you'll be reaching the limit of the drivetrain (where as you wont be in a diesel truck), which will then eat up more $$ to upgrade.

Look up...

BAMA CHIPS

XCAL2 or 3

K&N or MAC INTAKES

TORQUE MONSTER HEADERS

FLOWMASTER or MAC or GIBSON or MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST

heres a good start...

Danny

TMH's are for 2nd gens.

And why not use James (hensonperformance.com) instead of Bama chips? Support site vendors

I concur with IZwack; Look at a 99-00 f250 PSD

1 word, SUPERCHARGER
Scotty

Gears.

most bang for the buck for what your looking for. then if you could intake, programmer, and if we had cam gears available to lower the torque band then that would help also.

calculate your motor to make peak torque in 3'rd gear od off at the speed you want to go.

Back