• Register Today It's free!

Tranny help

Tom N

Reaction score
City, State
sarasota,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT V8 4X4
I have a 2003 XLT V8 4x4 with 80k on it and the O/D light is flashing. It shifts into 2nd very high in the rpm range and wont go into od. so i had the code pulled and is said something to the effect of needing to change the shift solenoid. So I did that and it was still the same. Pulled the code again and it says 2nd gear ratio out of range??? Any idea what the problem could be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont remember the code number. I just remember it said 2nd gear ratio out of range and I have no OD and it shifts into 2nd between 4-5k rpms with giving it partial throttle unless i let of the gas for a second then it will shift.

Mine was holding gear if I gave it a little more than 1/4 throttle and then would shift. If I drove like a grandma, it was fine and it I went WOT(from a stop) it was fine(usually). I am now having the entire thing rebuilt because I think it's actually the cylinder that wears in the casing causing pressure to bleed off and making it so sloppy on the shifting and the slipping. When I was going slow(30-40mph) and would get on it, it would downshift and feel likes it's slipping. I get it back this weekend and will let you know if it was worth the money:(

i had mine rebuilt with a Master rebuild kit comes with a rebore kit.
I paid 1600 for mine to be rebuilt, best move ever. Drives great now, no worries.

I think it is either the O/D servo or the band broke.
If the band broke how would that effect 2nd gear?
Anyone know.

same issue

Guys this is my first post and hope to get some input...and sorry if i am asking in the wrong place and i have read almost all posts regarding a 5r55w. Here is the deal..my mounty 2003 AWD 4.0L will not shift into 2nd unless i let off the gas...no OD either. OD light is flashing...check transmission message and ses light is on. I changed the solenoid pack and filter and torqued everything to spec. OD band is also adjusted...however i could'nt adjust the intermediate band coz i couldnt get the head of my torque wrench in there. The first time when i removed the inner plug oof the drain plug i was expecting it to have a small drip or stream of ATF but it drained about a quart of oil and it kind of had a burnt smell and the oil was dark. so i removed the drain plug drained the oil and refilled mercon v till i got a steady stream with engine started. I could feel that the transmission was a bit smoother but the prob stayed.

So then after a few days i dropped the pan changed the solenoid (adjusted the OD band before changing the oil) and the filter...took the famous atf bath. While the pan was out i found a reasonable amount of sludge on the pan as well as on the magnet.

cleaned and refixed everything put in around 6 qrts of atf and took it for a drive. Samething.....transmission is smoother but i have to let off the gas to shift to 2nd. Glacier brooklyn and all other knowledgeable guys...i am looking up to u to help me sort this out as i am bankrupt. Brooklyn i wouldnt mind having to go borrow a 1 terrabyte HDD to test the prob you were having with it on XP. I am good when it comes to comps, servers and networks....when it comes to automobiles i am a dumbo. but believe me..the rate at which i am learning things i will be starting a workshop. :D thanks in advance guys....and hey i live in the middle east...so time zones are different...i will get up in the middle of the night and check whther u guys have responded :eek:

Forgot to mention i have around 60k miles on the odo. Just bought this vehicle about a year back for someone else but that guy hasn't been paying the installments and dint take care of the vehicle. He hasn't done timely service at the dealer so extended warranty is void. I just took the vehicle back recently and found that it has this tranny problem. I am stuck with it now.. please do help. I know from other posts that i have to look at the valve body now...but couldnt find enough info for 5r55w....i did find a 5r55e valve body rebuild dairy but dint find enough courage to pput more money down the drain.....Please do help.

And yes the code said something like gear ratio output incorrect or something like that...there is no autozone in this part of the world so i will have to pay someone to get the codes read...let me know if it is absolutely necessary :D

Forgot to update this. Mine was a bad OD servo. Replaced it and the truck now shifts into 2nd normally and will go into OD.

Thanks for the update Tom. Welcome to this forum Darshansebastian! I got your PM about your transmission problem. You could download a PDF on the 5R55W by clicking onto a link in my profile. The link is also in # 69 in my list of useful threads. It sounds like you might have a broken band.

Brooklyn i dont think the band broke....coz i was able to torque it to spec before backing it off by 2 turns.....i had downloaded that pdf sometime back.....and like tomn said i think it could be the OD servo.....now what i don't understand is...there is a small piece (i think it is called servo strut) which is in between the servo and the band.....it is shown on page 51 of that pdf...so if i remove the servo without pulling the transmission isnt that small fellah going to fall off inside the case.....and then how will i put it back on.....wont i have to pull the valve body for that?.....sorry if this is a dumb question.

I was thinking about the other band that might have broken, since only one was adjusted so far. The strut should remain in one place as long as the transmission is not moved. The band has spring action, and will push it against the area where the servo's pin presses against it.

I see...i know that is a strong possibility....anyways to clear my head of it...i will try somehow to adjust it...but if the intermediate band broke then i would have no 3rd gear right....the prob i have is that it wont shift from 1 to 2 unless i let off the gas....and no od either........So when we say it could be a prob with the servo....can we fix it by just opening the servo cover ,pull out the od servo and replace it....yes i know that i will have to check for bore wear as well. and that strut will remain where it should even if i pull the servo out to replace it with a new one....forgive me for asking...should i replace the entire servo or should i just replace the seals and springs on it...Thank you for trying to help

thanks a ton brooklyn.....will try it out this weekend...err weekend is on thursday at this part of the world...and it falls on christmas....will try to take an off on saturday and work on this...meanwhile....if i have to replace the band... i will have to pull the tranny....get a pump puller pull the pump and i should be looking at the bands right?....or is there something more to it..i cannot afford to take it in for a rebuild...so the only option is to change the bands my self if needed...and face the consequence if i goof up somewhere.....appreciate your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brooklyn Thanks for your help, I just thought i will reply here for the benefit of anyone who is looking for a solution to the same problem.

Hi guys,

Just fixed my tranny with the same problem, i had replaced the solenoid block and tightened bands in an effort to fix this issue, however after going through alll the threads in this forum on 5r55w, i decided to take my tranny apart. On having it on the bench, i had opened the pump and uptil the place where you have the od band and i decided i will take out the OD servo before going further into the beast. The OD band was intact and i could achieve the appropriate torque, however when i opened the OD servo cover, i found that the OD servo had broken and popped out in a circle where the piston attached the umbrella like thing on its head.

So this explained why i had this problem even when i could achieve the necessary torque, Replaced the servo, and the band and put it all back together, Now it runs like new!!

Thanks to Glacier, brooklyn bay and all other guys who has made this forum what it is. I will become a paid member next month...all the info that you have provided has saved me a lot of money and it is only fair that i do something which will help this site keep going!. The dealer wanted 10 times the amount that i spent on fixing it and the local transmission shops wanted money in advance and they wouldn't guarantee anything.

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!!... And to guys who had the same problem and went off without giving feed back as to how it was fixed....Thanks to you too!!

Back