rear defrost issue

99limitedcanada

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottetown, PEI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited
Hi,

I have a 99 four door limited. One of the little coil cords that's attached to the glass has come off, and now my rear defrost won't work. Living in Canada in the winter, this is pretty inconvenient. I thought it might just connect back on but it appears you need some kinda glue? Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and what the suggested fix is? I'm trying to avoid having to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I have a 99 four door limited. One of the little coil cords that's attached to the glass has come off, and now my rear defrost won't work. Living in Canada in the winter, this is pretty inconvenient. I thought it might just connect back on but it appears you need some kinda glue? Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and what the suggested fix is? I'm trying to avoid having to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/aa112302a.htm

Either solder or electrical epoxy will repair that.

Note, you will need a soldering gun to weld the tab back to the window. I tried first with a 30 Watt Soldering iron and could not get the solder to flow. I ended up purchasing a "Weller 8200PK 140/100 Watts 120v Universal Soldering Gun Kit" for $28.00 USD at Lowes and that did the trick. Do yourself a favor and pick up a soldering gun because if you are like me you will knock the tab back off the next time you windex the inside of your rear window.

Be careful using a soldering gun on a cold window as you could cause it to shatter.

Try one of these, a Mini Butane Gas-Powered Iron for $21.99
They are great for keeping in a toolbox, I used mine all the time when I used to do car-stereo installations for a living.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062753
pRS1C-2160666w345.jpg

I think he fixed it 11 months ago :dunno:

true but it looks like OHM had the same trouble recently, just a bump in case anyone currently is having that issue :)

Back