ONP / Recall for 4.0L SOHC intake leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ONP / Recall for 4.0L SOHC intake leak

tmsoko

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Adrenalin
Does anyone know the recall or ONP number for the intake manifold leakage concern with the 4.0L SOHC engine? All I can find is 00M12, which is the extension to 6y / 70K miles, but not the actual.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

call your local ford dealer and give them your VIN. They should be able to check for any recalls for your vehicle.

ONP 00M12 is the extension and the fix for the leaking lower intake manifold o-rings and noisy camshaft tensioners.

109700m12__owner_s_letter_.jpg

109700m12-1__dealer_letter_.jpg

109700m12-2__dealer_letter_.jpg

This pissed me off.

I found out about this right after I got back from my honeymoon. Before we left we had a little over 70k on it, and when we got back it was just over 72k. :mad: So ford would not fix it for free. So now I'm stuck with it. It's not to bad living in So Cal. I just keep ker out of the cold.:D

I just did this on my sister's truck this past weekend. She had 64K on it, but it was 5 month too old!!!

It took ~5 hours to do, with most of that time being spent trying to get the small plug out of the head for the cam tensioner fix. Un-believable, I broke 2 Torx T30 bits trying to remove the damned thing. I nearly drilled it out!

The upper / lower gasket change was piece of cake.

lets see i've done this recall three times and it still hasn't fixed it....they keep telling me that it looks like no one has changed it everytime i take it back....so go figure that...i've takin it to two different ford dealerships...lol....

I did the repair myself and the truck went from barely running to purring like a kitten. Actually an easy repair for the gaskets.

Hi guys! hope you don't mind me tagging on to this thread...

I was wondering if ONP 00M12 might relate to my little problem.

'98 4.0 SOHC 4x4, UK spec 54k miles.
The truck has recently developed 2 (possibly related) engine faults.

1: there is a constant rattling sound from the front area of the engine. Not a heavy mechanical sound, more like the noise you get when you vacuum (hoover?) up grit from the carpet. During investigation with a stethoscope I found this noise most prominent in the area of what looks like a hose fitting on the front right side of the engine, about half way down on (your) passenger side.

2: when the throttle is snapped open from idle there is a momentary but very distinct sound of an air leak in the induction system. A bit like what you'd get when you remove the air filter from a carburettor engine. This around appears to come from the top centre area of the engine.

The truck is booked into the dealer on thursday for a diagnostic check. The only problem is that Explorers are VERY rare over here in the UK and I am fairly certain that the techs will not have worked on an Ex before. If they diagnose anything that might relate to ONP 00M12 or similar it might just be a useful bargaining chip!

TIA
Simon H

recall

72,000 miles? just got this done under warranty...had 77,995 miles.

Originally posted by shytot4x4
Hi guys! hope you don't mind me tagging on to this thread...

I was wondering if ONP 00M12 might relate to my little problem.

'98 4.0 SOHC 4x4, UK spec 54k miles.
The truck has recently developed 2 (possibly related) engine faults.

1: there is a constant rattling sound from the front area of the engine. Not a heavy mechanical sound, more like the noise you get when you vacuum (hoover?) up grit from the carpet. During investigation with a stethoscope I found this noise most prominent in the area of what looks like a hose fitting on the front right side of the engine, about half way down on (your) passenger side.

2: when the throttle is snapped open from idle there is a momentary but very distinct sound of an air leak in the induction system. A bit like what you'd get when you remove the air filter from a carburettor engine. This around appears to come from the top centre area of the engine.

The truck is booked into the dealer on thursday for a diagnostic check. The only problem is that Explorers are VERY rare over here in the UK and I am fairly certain that the techs will not have worked on an Ex before. If they diagnose anything that might relate to ONP 00M12 or similar it might just be a useful bargaining chip!

TIA
Simon H

Hi did you get any of the work done relating to
ONP 00M12 ?
i'm having the same problem still waiting for FORD UK to get back to me on it.

UKFORDEX

Not much luck really. They didn't do anything. They say that there were no OBD fault codes and they could find nothing wrong. "They all do that, Sir..." Maybe I am hearing things.
Anyway, I've still got 6 months parts and labour warranty left on the vehicle so they may see me again!

Good luck with yours
Simon H

I had the rough cold idle and I did not get any codes either. I replaced the M0012 recall kit in my truck and took care of the problem. You might not get a code for some problems. I had a very erratic idle 500 - 2000 rpm and no codes.

i need to get this done. i just bought a 98 xlt with 46000 on it. its now got 51000 on it and it kinda makes like valve last noises like i had on my honda and it idles funny. does this recall apply to orginal owners or can i still get this done? also is this all free?

doesn'y have to be original owner and it is free

hey, my car has 41,000 miles on it....can i still bring it in? and would it still be covered? lol its probably a dumb question..

i looked under my car and it looked like my cat was leaking out smoke it could be oil dripping but i didnt see any oil leaking out on it any answers it's a 98 explorer

Back