Driver's Window unglued from holder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Window unglued from holder

churchandchurch

Reaction score
City, State
Branford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
The bottom of the window glass has pulled out of two holders attached to the scissored window regulator system. To put the glass back in place, it looks like it needs to be glued in place so that it does not pull out again. Any suggestions as to what type of adhesive to use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to a glass shop and get a tube of windshield adhesive / sealant. It's a thick gooey black stuff that works great. Just keep the window rolled up for a couple of days to keep pressure on it till it fully cures.

I wish I woud've known that before I replaced my entire glass assembly, lol....

Yeah, I replaced the whole assembly on a T-Bird I used to have before a glass guy showed me the cheep and easy way!

Weatherstrip adhesive or silicone works also the trick is to let it cure. In the cold weather it is best to try and find a heated garage and let it set for a day.

From the factory, they use a high-strength 2-part polyurethane adhesive from Kent Automotive, but any body supply shop should have something equivalent.

Make sure it's a 2-part adhesive though... One-part butyl adhesives like windshield sealants take eons to cure in cold temps and dry weather. Two-part adhesives contain their own hardener and will fully cure in just a couple of days.

-Joe

I'm here to say that the ONLY thing I have seen worth a crap is the 2 part stuff joe talks about. I have tried everything else under the sun. They all work for a while, then they fail again.

Five minute epoxy and clean surfaces with rubbing alcohol and don't scimp on the glue window ureathane and silicone are too flexible and will lead to the regulator assy being damaged from flexing

nah...epoxy doesn't work. Been there done that...got the channel full of epoxy with no window in it as a result. Epoxy just won't hold to glass well enough...I don't care how clean you get it.

Urethane will not damage the regulator. I'm not sure how you came up with that.

nah...epoxy doesn't work. Been there done that...got the channel full of epoxy with no window in it as a result. Epoxy just won't hold to glass well enough...I don't care how clean you get it.

Urethane will not damage the regulator. I'm not sure how you came up with that.

Exactly... If a urethane adhesive would damage anything, they wouldn't be using it from the factory... It's what they use in all Ford vehicles at the moment.

-Joe

In response to you questioning the the epoxy glue versus silicone and ureathane, the damages to the regulator occur when an adhesive that is too flexible is used allows the glass attachement brackets to squirm as a result the high torque of the power window motor causes the brackets and regulator arms to twist and bend.
Earlier models used a large rivet through the glass and a two part plastic bushing to attach the regulator directly to the glass however too many parts and a touch tricky to do quickly on the assembly line(high likelyhood of breakage)
The factory uses a two part ureathane based adhesive that is similar to the windshield ureathane but is of a higher durometer therefore is more resistive to torsional flexing. Where this is a problem is in colder climates where the glass freezes in run the channel and when the drivers door has the auto down function.
I have just successfully used 5 minute epoxy (5 bucks for a kit) to refasten the mounting tabs to my glass after the prior owner attempted to use silicone to reattach the brackets and totally destroying the regulator due to flexing and bending.
If this is to fail I will gladly update you all on the status
Footnote is I am a 30 year Autobody and Collision technican with 12 years of Ford dealership experience.

Back