Replaced intake manifold gaskets, now I have no power...WTF? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced intake manifold gaskets, now I have no power...WTF?

mazda1003

Reaction score
City, State
spokane, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4.0
I just finished replacing my lower and upper intake gaskets, as well as the fuel manifold and thermostat gaskets. I got everything back together, and the engine runs fine (sounds great actually!), but I'm having problems in the low RPM range in 1st gear and 4th-5th gears.

When I step on the gas from a dead stop, the engine sounds like it is choking or not firing. After about 10 MPH, it runs fine and accellerates fine. Then, when I go to get on the freeway, I can't get the gears to shift down to accellerate. It's a slow run up to 55-60.

There are no air or fluid leaks in the engine, and all of the fluids are set right, except for the transmission fluid being a touch high. I replaced all of the plugs during the rebuild. I haven't checked the engine codes yet because I haven't seen a CEL come on. Anyone have ideas about this? Where do I start to look? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you sure you got it in time. is this a overhead cam engine or cam in block?

to me it sounds like it maybe out of time to far retarded

a choking sound makes it sound like your not getting fire on some of your plugs, are your plugs gapped to standards? Also check your plug wires, sometimes these are junk straight from the box as I have learned all to many times. As for your tranny, try to drain a little fluid to get you into the correct fill range, no need to drop your tray, use a length of tube and a ball pump thru the fill tube. Also CEL are burnt out sometimes in vehicles, so don't judge only by that.

Thanks for the start! I'll check the timing as soon as I can tomorrow, and I'll buy new plug wires too. I do know that the CEL works, because it lights up when I turn the key to power. If those don't work out, I'll post again tomorrow.

Oh, and it's a cam in the block. Thanks again

Double check all electrical and vacuum connections that you disconnected to replace the gaskets. You may have forgotten one somewhere. Also, as suggested above, check your plug gap and you may have damaged a plug wire or it may not be on correctly.

I'd say timing also. Changed heads on my BII 2.9 few weeks ago and got the timing 180 off, I have NO idea how, but it ran! But it ran like you're describing.

Ok, plugs are good and wires check out. Here's my problem now...

My 4.0 is distributorless, and has a coil pack for the six plugs. How do I adjust the timing with that? Could it be the ignition module?

Also, does anyone have a good diagram of the plug wires for a 4.0L? My Chilton's is about as helpful as eyes on my ass, and I'm thinking I may have had the wires on out of order in the first place.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

It can't be timing because he said the timing was in the block. If he only took it down to the Heads he didn't touch anything for timing. I would definatly check all your connections.
Also, Did you make sure to torque the Fuel rail/Upper intake bolts and Nuts to IN pounds and not FOOT Pounds? If you did foot pounds it could have cracked the upper intake or be causing some kind of gasket failure.

:Edit:

Ok, plugs are good and wires check out. Here's my problem now...

My 4.0 is distributorless, and has a coil pack for the six plugs. How do I adjust the timing with that? Could it be the ignition module?

Also, does anyone have a good diagram of the plug wires for a 4.0L? My Chilton's is about as helpful as eyes on my ass, and I'm thinking I may have had the wires on out of order in the first place.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

If anything it could be the module, but I don't think you can adjust that like a Distributor with out some kind of Scan tool. I found This when I searched "OHV Spark plug wiring" It may help.

IN Pounds??? Damn it, my Chilton's said 18 FOOT Pounds on the Upper Intake Manifold.... I hope to hell my manifold isn't cracked...

All my connections are, well, connected... I read something about my vacuum lines being connected to my transmission somewhere, and that I should look at the fittings to see if there's any ATF fluid on them...I don't know, I'm going to check the resistance on the coil pack and the plug wires again, then work my way back.

Back