• Register Today It's free!

How long can i last?

Ford_Nova

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Ok, so ive got the 4.0 with the death rattle. No big deal right? Ive read on here that people have gone 20k plus miles on it with no troubles at all. At idle it sounds somewhat like a diesel and at highway speeds sounds like im dragging a tin can full of rocks. If i need to i can try to upload a video of what it sounds like. Id like to be able to drive it home and back, but thats a 500 mile drive, and i dont want to get stuck in the middle of no where at midnight. Im going to try to swap the 5.0 into it so i dont really want to spend $600 fixing an engine that im soon going to be taking out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so ive got the 4.0 with the death rattle. No big deal right? Ive read on here that people have gone 20k plus miles on it with no troubles at all. At idle it sounds somewhat like a diesel and at highway speeds sounds like im dragging a tin can full of rocks. If i need to i can try to upload a video of what it sounds like. Id like to be able to drive it home and back, but thats a 500 mile drive, and i dont want to get stuck in the middle of no where at midnight. Im going to try to swap the 5.0 into it so i dont really want to spend $600 fixing an engine that im soon going to be taking out.

Are you lucky with women and money? I also knew cases of people going a few years with that, and others who had total failure within a week of hearing the noise.

If you do the 5.0L, will need a new trans, wiring harnesses, and PCM. You should find a donor vehicle.

Are you lucky with women and money? I also knew cases of people going a few years with that, and others who had total failure within a week of hearing the noise.

If you do the 5.0L, will need a new trans, wiring harnesses, and PCM. You should find a donor vehicle.

I dont know if youve noticed the avatar but thats the donor vehicle. The 5.0 runs fine, trans is fine. Everything on it works good, but i have a diamond in the frame and the front is swayed 2 inches to the left. Im still able to actually drive it but opt not to drive it more than from the parking lot to the shop which is about 2 block away.

i start shop today and will have to see if they will actually let me do the swap. They will let me pull the frame and do all that frame work and all that, but its doubtful about the swap.

my noise started at about 95k miles (or so), im at 193k now with the same noise. take it for what its worth.

I hope im able to drive it. But like 96eb96 said, i dont have good luck. Ill probably get out on I24 and itll crap out on me.

fwiw, if you are able to get a video or audio of what it sounds like from inside the car while driving. I'm interested in knowing what to look out for on mine so i can address it before it becomes serious...

or is this something you couldn't miss?

fwiw, if you are able to get a video or audio of what it sounds like from inside the car while driving. I'm interested in knowing what to look out for on mine so i can address it before it becomes serious...

I'm curious too. I'm pretty sure I have the death rattle at around 2500 rpms, but I'm not 100% sure.

sounds something like a diesel idling. You would have to be deaf to miss it from a cold start.

Haha, alright. See, I just got my 99 Ex and reading that thread about the Death Rattle made me think my engine was going to collapse after about 1000 miles, though my engine sounds nothing like that.

Haha, alright. See, I just got my 99 Ex and reading that thread about the Death Rattle made me think my engine was going to collapse after about 1000 miles, though my engine sounds nothing like that.

The dealer I bought my ex from said he leaves a note with every SOHC sold to use royal purple 5W30 oil. He claims it COULD put off the inevitable. He said lots of damage happens from cold starts and oil starvation(his opinion). Also, you can go a bit longer with that stuff so it may be worth it.

Mine rattles, but I let off the gas till it stops, but I drive in flat lands too, so that helps. I hope to get it fixed week after next.

Back