PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder

OK guys I went to Sea Foam and change out my pcv valve the other night and I couldn't find the freakin vlave!

96 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK guys I went to Sea Foam and change out my pcv valve the other night and I couldn't find the freakin vlave!

96 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reach your arm straight down to the left of the computer module thing and hoist nut, in the back of engine compartment. You should feel a rubber hose. Pull it up. Hopefully the valve will come with it.

For a Newbie , I want Sea Foam by myself ,I saw "for SOHC through the brake booster"...

any one have pictures for Where's the brake booster under the Hood ?

My Explorer is '98 Sport SOHC V6 4L 4WD.....Any help will be appreciated !

Finally....success!

Bumpity, bump for successfully figuring this dang PCV mystery out, after 2+ years. :rolleyes:

All I am going to add is that this thread is a GREAT resource. Worth reading from end to end. I went at the rear hose from the driver's side, hand reaching in from close to the brake booster thingy on the firewall. I reached down towards the middle of the upper intake until I felt a hose. GENTLY pulling the hose up reveals the PCV. It takes zero effort to remove the PCV valve from the grommet.

At first I wasn't sure what I was looking at because of that foam protector on the hose (as per the "new vs old" PCV hose assembly photo in this thread, I've got the "new" version). Once I moved the foam piece aside, I pulled the PCV valve out. Mine looked brand new and the "shake" test" revealed it should be fine. I wiped it down and set it aside.

I then positioned the hose where the valve was removed to rest near the top of the intake. I then rigged up a small length of plastic hose, with a nipple on one end going into the PCV hose, and used a small funnel on the other end (the red ones made by Coleman you use to fill camp stoves, it's go a filter on one end which can't hurt, right?).

I started the engine to see if there was any suction and was ready to go. Any time I've done a Seafoam treatment on either the Eddie or my old SOHC Sport, I always use a full can. Never had any problems doing so and didn't this time either. I poured the Seafoam into the funnel faster than I used to when I did the brake booster method on the 5.0 (or IAC method on the SOHC). No sign of stalling...just the occasional chugging. The smoke started to build so I turned off the engine as soon as the can was empty. I then put the valve back in the hose and re-inserted it into the grommet on the engine. It really doesn't take much effort to re-insert and the hose itself almost falls right back into the correct position because of the bend in it.

I waited a 1/2 hour or so before starting it and took the time to use the instructions on the Seafoam "Deep Creep" can to clean my throttle body while waiting. I fired up the Ex soon after and it didn't start on first crank. Came quickly to life on 2nd try and I promptly got out of my alley. I pretty much idled out of the local streets so not as to fog everyone out, but I still managed to get some nasty looks. I'm about 1 km from the freeway (if that) so I crawled to the on-ramp and started my "spirited drive".

The smoke cleared soon afterwards and of course the Ex ran smooth as silk. I took it down to a section of road I test for the infamous "5.0 ping" and it was almost non-existent (I've had some problems lately). Definitely a more thorough job than the brake booster method!

Took me long enough to sort this out, but it is dead easy to do once you know where to "look". :D

This is a superb thread, well worth its "sticky status". :thumbsup:

Pcv

I have a 2000 V8 AWD, is my PCV in the same location. I looked in a service manual, it said it was under the intake manifold near the passenger firewall.

Should be in the same place as the rest of the 5.0's.

Would this work?

Would this work on my '91 Explorer? Its exactly what the ride needs but the threads for late models? Would i still put it in the pcv or the break booster?

This thread applies to the 5.0, so it would be different. Search around for details, but I think it's a bit easier to find on the 4.0.

Tb?

Would it hurt anything to get a spray bottle and spray 1/2 the can of Seafoam through the TB? Then the other half in the gas tank?
Wouldn't this have the same effect as the PCV valve?

Would it hurt anything to get a spray bottle and spray 1/2 the can of Seafoam through the TB? Then the other half in the gas tank?
Wouldn't this have the same effect as the PCV valve?

I use Seafoam "Deep Creep " (which is spray version of Seafoam) on my TB all the time. It's good for cleaning the TB (they even have instructions on the can for cleaning your TB), but you will not get anywhere near the coverage that you would using the PCV method. Too much of it seems to burn off using that method rather than settling in your engine for a soak. The PCV method literally gulps in the Seafoam and it shows when you fire your Ex up again (smokeshow). I hardly get any smoke through the TB.

Remember, the smoke you see is not the crap you're cleaning out (well some of it is). The smoke is actually the Seafoam burning off (taking some of the crap with it).

I use Seafoam "Deep Creep " (which is spray version of Seafoam) on my TB all the time. It's good for cleaning the TB (they even have instructions on the can for cleaning your TB), but you will not get anywhere near the coverage that you would using the PCV method. Too much of it seems to burn off using that method rather than settling in your engine for a soak. The PCV method literally gulps in the Seafoam and it shows when you fire your Ex up again (smokeshow). I hardly get any smoke through the TB.

Remember, the smoke you see is not the crap you're cleaning out (well some of it is). The smoke is actually the Seafoam burning off (taking some of the crap with it).

Ah alright. I just sprayed about 1/2 can in the TB and the other half went in the gas tank. I didn't get much smoke, but it really felt like it cleaned some stuff up. By that i mean, it felt like i was accelerating faster, pulling harder.

Another thing i noticed, when i started my car without the Air sensor attached my Check Engine light came on. Then when i put the intake and everything back together it didnt go away. That bugs me. Is something wrong with the TB now?

Another thing i noticed, when i started my car without the Air sensor attached my Check Engine light came on. Then when i put the intake and everything back together it didnt go away. That bugs me. Is something wrong with the TB now?

you prolly have a maf code. unhook the battery for 15 min and youll b set...

I didnt disconnect the battery. I was actually going outside to do that but decided to get back online and see if any one responded. Thanks for the help guys! :)

can u use this for a 4.0

if so where would u put the sea foam into

if so where would u put the sea foam into

These instructions are for the 5.0L V8. Look elsewhere in the forums for the OHV V6. Different methods for different engines.

I'd like to thank the thread starter for the great info on the pcv valve. Mine was stuck open and may not have been in the manifold all the way because it was pretty oily. The other day I fed it some Seafoam through the brake booster hose. It had a fair amount of smoke but I may do it again since reading this thread. Today I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and pcv on my 119k Mounty. I did have a problem with one of the heat shields that go around the plugs. It was smashed at the back and I couldn't get a socket on the plug. I messed with it for 30-40 minutes before I figured out those things come right off. I did use Purolater pcv and fuel filter, but Motorcraft plugs and wires. I spent about $125 on the parts. I called the local Ford stealership to get a price quote but they have not called back yet.

Where can you get a cold air induction setup for a 98 5.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back