• Register Today It's free!

Help with Tires/ Wheels/ Axles

Iceking007

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello on my 91 Sport I'm looking at doing a 5" Camburg lift was hoping to use 33X13.5X15's on 15X10's but people on the forum tell me the 13.5's are too big for the stock D35 and too beaf it up with the D44 but that will change my whole bolting and such and if thats the case I might as well just redo the front and real axles... but I'm wondering if 12.5's would work? any sudgestion what is every one else running?? I'd rather bigger than 10.5's thats what I have now... Thank you!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

13.5, 12.5 and 10.5 -- those are all tire width, not tire diameter. Tire width doesnt really have anything to do with axle strength, its the tire diameter that will break or not break the axle shafts. You'll be fine running 33's on the stock D35 axle. The only thing you might have to worry about with the 13.5 is rubbing a tire against the body or radius arm or whatever -- which is partially dependent on the tire you're using.

Thats what I've been thinking but some others have been telling me differently... I appreciate your advice... thank you for reasuring me what are you running?

Thats what I've been thinking but some others have been telling me differently... I appreciate your advice... thank you for reasuring me what are you running?
LOL well my setup is slightly different:

Ford Dana 60 in the front and GM 14-bolt in the back
Tires will be 39.5" Interco Iroks or 40" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers.

Ah icy... yes... well have you run the combination that I am asking about before or know'n any one who has?? you know just to "prove" the theory I suppose... like yah my budy jim runs that for like 5 yrs your good to go! lol

I'm running 33x12.50's. I ran it with stock front end, then with a locker. The only other modification at the time was Warn manual hubs.

I'm running 33x12.50's. I ran it with stock front end, then with a locker. The only other modification at the time was Warn manual hubs.

Awsome thanks... do you think they are weak?? can you get away with 33X13.5's?

I'm just curious, which tire comes in a 33x13.5 ? Cauz I know the BFGs only come in 12.5 width for the 33's.

And why are you set on 13.5's? I ask cauz on the snow, narrower tires in general do better.

well not to sure what all come in.. I only Run Toyo's on my car and my truck bike is a different story... sorry to say I am a Die Hard Toyo fan and will never change and I think everythin else is crap... lol but yeah 33X13.5X15 Toyo Open Country M/T's and they run over sized the BFG's I think overall are like a 32.9 and the Toyo's are 33.8 or something?!

Ahh gotcha, Toyos it is then.

What are weak? The hubs? Axle in general? I don't see any problem in having an inch wider tires...

Me either.. thank you for you input... was told that the knuckles (ujoint) barings, axle shafts and hubs wont hold up... so yes the whole assembly... was sudgested to upgrade to D44 parts

Unless you're doing serious rock crawling with really low gears, lockers, or a lot of power, you shouldn't have much problems. I'm assuming you'll be doing mostly snow/low traction riding right?

here you can run 35's with the factory front axle.... dont worry about it. look at some of the rigs o this website. some on here have factory axles with a lift and 33's with lockers and all that stuff that do just as good as alot of the solid axle rides.

check out "tbars" on this site. he does alot of wheelin with his ttb front. i think the only thing really inportant is because he is running 35" tires, he has regeared his axles. and also look at the guy with the bronco 2 with explorer axles (ttb) he has went to moab with them... here are a couple links. explores came stock with pretty good axles.

here are some of our first gen awsome explores from our site.

maniak

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15282

tbars

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188630

and look at this!! you cant say those front ends are weak!!!!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235154

Wow..... yes ok first off I will mostly just do normal Canadian offroading wich is mostly mud and steep stuff and like that... not too much rock crawling here but all low range easier on all the parts including clutch... thank you so much for the help and advice yes I think if 35's are good then I'll be fine... guess I'll find out just run it till something blows up then just rebuild it up and fortify it better... I mean I'm offroading no matter what I do eventually some thing is gonna break... otherwise your not doing it right?! lol kook thanks again! :thumbsup::salute:

Wow..... yes ok first off I will mostly just do normal Canadian offroading wich is mostly mud and steep stuff and like that... not too much rock crawling here but all low range easier on all the parts including clutch... thank you so much for the help and advice yes I think if 35's are good then I'll be fine... guess I'll find out just run it till something blows up then just rebuild it up and fortify it better... I mean I'm offroading no matter what I do eventually some thing is gonna break... otherwise your not doing it right?! lol kook thanks again! :thumbsup::salute:

yeah no prob. mostlikely your trans would go before you ever had to worry about your front end....unless you have automatic hubs then you might have to replace those eventually. but if you have manuals then dont worry.

Back