Need info 13.5 or 12.5 what are you running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need info 13.5 or 12.5 what are you running?

Hello planning to install a 5" lift in the future was looking at 33X13.5X15's but some people on the forums have been saying that the 13.5's might be too wide and put too much stress on the stock D35 in my 91 Sport, I am wondering what your opinion is? how can I beef this up? what are you running and how did you prevent damage ect? Thanks:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen some x's with 13.5 wide rubber, looks pretty tuff. but make sure u install fender flairs. cops in edmonton will eat you over the tire outside of the stock fenders.

Oh really?? wow thank you for the info I'll have to look into that... hadn't really thought about that one! easy fix though ;):salute:

i personally run 10.50 but eventually will run 12.50. its easier on my trans with 10.50 and they tuck uner better then 12 but 12 looks way more bad ass and they have more area for gripping. never have ran 13.50 on anything. pretty sure it will rub. imo

Once you get tall the wider tires looks GOOD. I'm up about 6" and I have 12.5's and they look good, 13.5 would look better. Downside is more rolling resistance and lower fuel economy. The 13.5 Toyo MT is a hot looking tire.

Depends on what brand you go with just how wide the tire actually is too. A Interco 12.5 will usually be as wide as a 13.5 from lower end company.

I run 10.50 now but really like the looks of the wider tires, my buddy tells me that rim depth also has some influence on the tires width, min rim width does not allow the tire to sit at it's true width.

Back