• Register Today It's free!

What is this part (from gas tank)

artgod33

Reaction score
City, State
Patriot Nation
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
When i dropped my gas tank yesterday I found a broken electirical clip (not sure if I broke it removing the tank or if it was broken before) that i can't find mentinoed int he Haynes manual.

Here's the clip from the side

ry%3D400.jpg

From the top

ry%3D400.jpg

And it came from here

ry%3D400.jpg

If this WAS broken before hand do you think it could have casued my low fuel pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its the fuel tank pressure transducer. Its there to measure the pressure inside the tank during the OBD2 Evap test(s). I don't think that it would directly affect the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If your pressure was low, it was probably an issue with the fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter or line, or a bad fuel pressure regulator (on the fuel rail).

yes fuel tank pressure sensor

Dealer item, I had to buy a new one when I did my 5.0L conversion in my BII, I broke my first one just like that, except I did it wheeling the truck not dropping the tank

Jamie, do you have a picture of an older tank, pre 95? I have not pulled my 98 tank yet, to see what is different on top there from my 93 tank. I wonder how much trouble it will be to add that pressure sensor to the 93 tank. Regards,

Dealer wants $77.29 for this.

There is no aftermarket part?

Also is there any chance this could cause the low fuel pressure if it was broken?

Tryign to track down myy 171 and 174 codes and 10psi at the rail!

Try Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com.

I'm pretty much certain that it has no effect on the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

it has no effect on low fuel pressure, at least not in the pre 98 trucks (returnless style may actually use data from the pressure sensor for controlling fuel rail pressure? I dunno)

I have pics of me adding this sensor to a 1988 BII tank :)
I have pics of th e96 sploder tank I removed it from

Aftermarket for a part like this? I DOUBT it! Junk yard? hell yes!!

Any 96+ explorer will have one

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124626&page=14

pics and verbage from my conversion thread:
This is a 1996 5.0L Explorer 4 door gas tank (16 gal I believe):
289396extank.jpg

I was surprised to find this tank is metal and attaches with only a single strap, most Explorer's I have seen are plastic tanks (Gen I?)

This is the same tank next to a junk yard 88 BII tank (23 gallon):
289388bii96ex.jpg

This is the fuel tank pressure sensor:
2893sensor.jpg

This is how it mounts in the 96 tank:
2893sensormount.jpg

part 2:
First empty gas from tank into a truck:
2893gasswap.jpg

next I emptied the tank completely, aired it out, filled it with water, airied it out some more, let it sit, and then finally cut out the part I needed with a sawzall:
2893excut.jpg

more cutting and bench grinder & drill later the parts are ready to go on to the new junk yard BII tank. I re-used OEM O ring from the donor tank vent tube to seal up my two parts, ready for install here:
2893parts.jpg

After much cleanup and prep the BII tank was painted, washed out, cleaned out the inside, cleaned some more, then finally the new in tank sending unit, pump, and the Explorer pressure sensor are installed. All O rings got coated with vaseline prior to install, I used sheet metal screws to attach the new metal from the explorer tank, and the pressure sensor installs like stock:
2893newtank.jpg

2893sensorinstalled.jpg

Tank was hung:
2893tankhung.jpg

Everything connected up top & clearance:
2893topoftank.jpg

Adding one for an OBD-II conversion is simple, as long as you have a donor tank to cut up
I think I had to run two wires from the PCM to the tank for it, the other wires are already at the gas tank (power, fuel level, etc)

later I broke this part 4x4ing (body flexed and broke it in half) and it was leaking just a bit of fuel when tank was full
so I re-installed the unit using a bit of silicoln and the O ring, I replaced my 1988 original body mounts, and now breaking it 4x4ing is not possible, no more leaks
:)

Dealer wants $77.29 for this.

There is no aftermarket part?

Also is there any chance this could cause the low fuel pressure if it was broken?

Tryign to track down myy 171 and 174 codes and 10psi at the rail!

Yes it wouldn't affect fuel pressure. You have another cause of that, likely the pump itself.

Try Napa for that sensor, they are about the best choice for odd parts that other parts places don't carry.

also call other dealers in your area, you may be surprised to find the price difference just driving like 10 miles

also try Mercury parts dept, Mounty is the same truck

I would personally go junk yard, probably be $5 and take 8 minutes to get one at the U pull it, heck grab two just in case!

Yes it wouldn't affect fuel pressure. You have another cause of that, likely the pump itself.

Try Napa for that sensor, they are about the best choice for odd parts that other parts places don't carry.

the pump is new... but I am going to warranty it and replace it anyway.

I am stumped onthis low fuel pressure.

And $78 for this sensor f*cking SUCKS!

JUNK YARD = LESS SUCK
Heck for $50 Ill go pull two for you and ship em :)

10 psi with a new pump at idle???
= check filter and regulator
check regulator line for gas
check regulator with vacuum pump

Good pictures Jamie, thanks. I am trying to make my old 93 tank take that sensor and vent. We'll see what can be done with a plastic tank.

isnt the plastic tank the same shape and size as the metal ones?

With that said I see no reason why this same mode wouldnt work on a plastic tank, screws hold great in plastic!!

while this is on the subject of fuel tanks does anybody here have a rear tank from bronco 2 that i can install into my ranger for an extra fuel tank

I have one but shipping would kill the deal

JCWhitney sells replacement BII tanks

A BII tank does not fit easily under a Ranger bed however

Have you considered a smaller aux tank that fits better?

I have one but shipping would kill the deal

JCWhitney sells replacement BII tanks

A BII tank does not fit easily under a Ranger bed however

Have you considered a smaller aux tank that fits better?

no i haven't i was just wanting a cheap way to add a second tank to my ranger and was going to remove the spare tire rack and install a b2 tank in place and use the molded hump in the bed at the back for the fill tube for the rear tank and set it up so that it feeds into the front tank because my ranger is a 90 and is EFI so it has the fuel pump in the tank

I have to locate a junkyard in my area.

figures it just snowed yesterday.

gonna be a cold pull!

Been calling yards around here none have the part.

Boo.

Don't want to have t shell out $78!

JUNK YARD = LESS SUCK
Heck for $50 Ill go pull two for you and ship em :)

10 psi with a new pump at idle???
= check filter and regulator
check regulator line for gas
check regulator with vacuum pump

Im really thinking about taking you up on this. Just to save the $30!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been calling yards around here none have the part.

Boo.

Don't want to have t shell out $78!

Email torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

Tell him what part you need and the year of your Explorer. He will email you back a quote for a new OEM part. He usually beats the dealer price by a lot. It won't cost you anything to try.

Back