Slapping/clapping noise

ryster

Reaction score
City, State
Southeastern, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Hi!

I currently have a '00 Explorer XLS 4WD with the 4.0L OHV engine. 10,600 miles.

I have been bothered by a loud slapping/clapping noise coming from the vacinity (near as I can tell) of the drivers door (I can't tell if it is on the underside or from the A pillar). It is like a quick, sharp single handclap. I haven't had the dealer look at it because it is random. It happens sometimes when I turn right. It happens sometimes going over little dips in the road, or sometimes going over bigger bumps. In fact, even though I have been living with it for several months it still surprises me when I hear it because it doesn't happen consistently. All I know is it is very loud when it does happen.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with their trucks? If so was it an easy fix? I am hoping it gets worse, actually, so the dealer can work on it under warranty and actually hear the noise when I take it in. The noise is starting to get to me despite the random nature of it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this thread. It might help. Torsion Bar Adjusters

Off the subject, do you know where Gerhold's Auto Sales is in Gilbertsville?? My wife's uncle owns it. Small world :)

Do you have power windows? It could be that the motor is loose and you only hear it once in a while. Just an idea

Thanks so much for the link to the thread! It sounds like this may be the cause of the noise. Next time I have the oil changed I will ask them to visually inspect the left front torsion bar adjuster for wear while they have it up on the lift. I'll also give them the TSB info from the thread.

Yes, I do know of Gerhold's. A very small world indeed!!!

Again, thank you very much!!!

Originally posted by Perry
Do you have power windows? It could be that the motor is loose and you only hear it once in a while. Just an idea

This is an idea to pursue as well. I have noticed that both front doors have acquired a constant "ticking" in them as of late (again random depending on temperature). It could be there are some loose components rattling around in the doors.

It is a nuisance to have to deal with such things after only 10,600 miles. I would expect this sort of thing at maybe 50,000 or so. Oh well, I'll just have to get some use out of the warranty Ford provides ;-)

Thanks!

Back