Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCeddieB

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Shore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer
Looks like Roadbully has bailed on his last couple buyers. Taking their money and not delivering a product.

PLEASE DO NOT PM HIM TO ORDER OR YOU MAY BE THE NEXT CAUSALITY

He has not been a Vendor or an Elite member for some time. This thread had been kept open for people to discuss the product that they had already received, not to order new products.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good information, thank you.

Fair review. I got mine about 3 weeks or so after I ordered, but I am in Oz, so expected anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. Ben even swallowed some additional postage cost to get the to me faster.

As for the bolts, well, I ordered mine with high tensile weld in bolts, and that's what they came with (the bolts were welded into the top holes). I only got the 1.5" spacers which require approx 1/4" to be trimmed off the original strut assembly top mounting bolts. ( but I was expecting that anyway).

As for the issue of ordering 1.75" and getting 2", and ending up with a 0.5" difference front to rear; had you received what you ordered, you would have ended up with a 1/4" difference front to rear anyway, so no big deal there. I agree you should have got what you ordered, but in the end it seems you are happy enough anyway.

Oh, and the resultant lift - I ended up with around 8mm (1/3") more than the actual height of the spacers too; I think it's because these spacers let the spring extend more somehow, probably to do with the angle of the ball joint etc as well.

I also had fitting issues (nothing major) but had to use a floor jack to get the lower control arm to meet up with the ball joint too.

My experience was a long time frame too. Due to the fact that I sent a money order which turns out takes a canadian bank 30 days to clear. He received it in Oct and informed on the wait I appoligized not knowing that he said "no problem" I start on yours this weekend. Some time went by I checked up on things and his plasma table layed down on him which delayed them even longer. I thought to myself well I did order odd ones 3" up front and 2 1/4" out back. After all said and done it took 33 days for the certified money order to clear, I received 3 and 2.5 spacer sometime in December. Ben seems to have good intentions and hopefully will get everything lined out and get a steady buisness off the ground. good luck Ben I know how it is my family owns a hotrod shop here in louisville and its been a rough road. www.hotrodzoflouisville.com

Keep in mind that he is doing this at night and on weekends. He still works full time and has a wife and young son he needs to spend some time with as well. Considering most mail order is still 4-8 weeks for delivery and most just needs pulled off of a warehouse shelf, he's not doing terribly. He is custom fabbing these things as orders come in.

I agree with Cozmik, and this is just my opinion. not a bashing at all. RB was the first to come up with a solution, and as far as I know the only one currently making them. It was and i think still is a side project not an "internet business." Looking back at alll of the threads, the response he has gotten is tremendous so I am sure he is backed up. Now this is just my opinion and again not at all a bash on anyone, in fact I want to be clear that I did not buy mine from RB, I got them from another member who bought them and decided not to install them. I give RB lots of props, and understand that a fair review was given and was not intended to bash, but I guess everyone has an experience some good and some bad.

TFC can you throw up some pics of your upper ball joints with the 2 inch lift?

thanks

As someone who has a lot of experience with custom made products, the timetable is expected, especially considering Ben does this as a side project and like Cozmik said, he does, like the rest of us still has a family that needs tending to.

As far as the size difference, I understand you ordered a certain size and got a 1/4" difference, but like everyone else has said it's minor. It's not like you ordered 1.75" spacers and got 2.5".

This being said... damn I want some 2" front/rears.

I had a hard time putting on my 2" spacers but it was mostly due to my own lack of mechanical skills. I had my local tire store put them on and they only charged me for one hour of labor ($60) so it must not be very hard if you know what you are doing....... I have not dealt with 3" spacers but lots of guys on here are running them so I know they will indeed fit.

RB does not build them until you order them and pay for them so it is going to take a little longer than ordering from a JC Whitney catalogue.

As someone who has a lot of experience with custom made products, the timetable is expected, especially considering Ben does this as a side project and like Cozmik said, he does, like the rest of us still has a family that needs tending to.

As far as the size difference, I understand you ordered a certain size and got a 1/4" difference, but like everyone else has said it's minor. It's not like you ordered 1.75" spacers and got 2.5".

This being said... damn I want some 2" front/rears.

all I'm say and by no means bashing ben is when it comes to the general public you have a obligation to satify your customer. Yeah a 1/4 inch isn't a big deal I can live with it but when a specific item is ordered and payed for it should be received. the group of people on this site is a really laid back understanding group. but I'm sure I heard ben on here saying he would like to get a buisness off the ground one day and he's not always gonna deal with cool people like you guys. you know when you order a burger wait in the drive thru get home to find out its not what you ordered...lol ..i just hope this is takin as construtive critisism and not personal

TFC can you throw up some pics of your upper ball joints with the 2 inch lift?

thanks

Hey Auburn... I threw the pics of my 2 inch front spacer on the sticky..

My spacers came the way I wanted(No finish and sprayed with WD-40), the size I ordered, and with in 3 weeks (even with a hand off problem between Canada mail and UPS). I installed my self and actually appreciated not having welded studs in the spacers. The hardest part was the re-connection of the lower strut bolt. However this has nothing to do with the spacers. I am super happy with the results.

Ok, now looks like a good time to say hi.
I've still been around the site replying to PMs, but haven't had much time to post on the board.
TFC, I apologized at the time for making a 2" set for you by mistake, I offered to remake them for you as I caught my mistake before shipping.
Sorry it took me so long to get them done, at the time I was running a 60 hour per week training schedule for my new job (excuses excuses... I know...)
I am a guy... working out of a friends garage, to try to help those who have the same hobby as myself. Yes, I am charging money for these spacers.. of course. And yes, it would be nice if I could get things done quicker, nobody wants that more than myself.
As for the powder coating, the first time I took it to "my guy" the coating was too thin, so of course I didn't want to give it to you that way and had him redo them... (not sure how that's a bad thing)
I apreciate the support from everyone who's backed me up.
And TFC I do also apreciate the positive coments that you did also make.
I will take this all into mind, and will be going to fastenal to get some grade8 bolts as you suggest to send out with any future kits.
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, just keep in mind i started this to try to help everyone out that was crying for an option to lift this vehicle...
If 3" is too much, then as a group we need to decide if they will be availible or not.
I've had people happy with the 3" spacers, should they be cut out and 2.5 or 2" made the max size? Help me out here and we'll make sure that people get a good product.

Thanks

Ben

that's what I'm talking about. solutions not exscuses bens the man lol....good luck rb!!

nice your back. will you please respond to my PM's

You are more than welcome to give your opinion on this site.
I have not responded to your pm's as I do not respond to threats/blackmail.
You are not getting your money back from me. If you had aproached me differently, it may have been a different story.
I'm not going to pay you to keep you quiet when you're not happy with the product.

Ben

Keep up the good work Ben, and we appreciate what you do. I think that there is enough info out there now that people will order the 2" spacers if they don't wanna hassle with ball joint issues. So maybe still offer the 3" spacers but warn the buyer there MIGHT be issues with ball joint angles and the knuckles rubbing. Maybe even put something up on your website, just so you can be in the clear and not have to worry about getting threats/black mail. Again thanks again for what you do!

Hey everybody, I understand that some of you have not been happy with everything but keep in mind that Ben has gone out of his way to accomodate all of us on this board. The pure fact that he is custom making these spacers per each request and isnt charging twice as much money should be a testament in itself of his character. I have PM'ed him several times now and I actually just ordered a set of 2" spacers from him on friday night. I will keep everyone posted on my experience, but I strongly believe that Ben is a genuine guy and we should kind of cut him some slack with all that he is doing for us. Not trying to squash anyones opinion, just trying to keep the peace.

Lets just hope that I dont have any of these balljoint problems with my 2" spacers. And FWIW these issues are not Ben's fault at all, he is simply making the product that we asked for. He is not a big name lift company who spent $1000's on R&D for this, he is an average joe like the rest of us.

RB, I was a store manager for Fastenal, they have the same junk every other hardware store has. They just re-bag it and sell it as better quality. Also, their markup is 300-600% on a bolt, so ask for a better price.

RB, I was a store manager for Fastenal, they have the same junk every other hardware store has. They just re-bag it and sell it as better quality. Also, their markup is 300-600% on a bolt, so ask for a better price.

thanks for the heads up!
It's good to have the inside scoop. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are more than welcome to give your opinion on this site.
I have not responded to your pm's as I do not respond to threats/blackmail.
You are not getting your money back from me. If you had aproached me differently, it may have been a different story.
I'm not going to pay you to keep you quiet when you're not happy with the product.

Ben

Threats/Blackmail what? I dont want you to pay me to keep quiet you need to pay me because you sold me a product that caused unsafe and harmful things to my ex. Its part of running a company, you need to take responsibility for your product even if you are not a big name brand. In the PM I expained what my problems were and said I believe that it is only fair for a refund and that i would try to help you out by not posting this on the board as the lift seemed to work out by others, but I did share my problems in the Lift Kit sticky. Here is my exact PM.
Hey RoadBully,
Well i got some bad news. The local shop put the lift on and everything looked great. However, the ride is extremely stiff and bounces real funny over bumps, and when pulling into my driveway over the curb at an angle there is this very loud grinding sound so i checked and the rear axel is grinding on the lower portion of the circular hole of the frame it goes through. In addition to that the shop told me the camber is way off and it is unsafe to drive so i went to the ford dealership and it was $325 to get the camber kit installed. So I have had enough and went back to get the lift kit uninstalled at a different shop because the one that put it on charged me $300. This shop said this absolutely needs to come off because there is extreme tension on the knuckles and the rest of the suspension components. They took it off for $200. I think it is obvious this lift did not work properly and i would like to send it back for a refund. I am already set back $500 for the cost of the installation and removal. I have not posted this information on the forums, because it seems to be working for them and I want you to continue to do well.
Thanks,
Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back