CV joints on TTB??

Alfredo

Reaction score
City, State
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I broke a U joint of may TTB...

Anybody try to install front axle shafts with CV joints??
Can it be possible?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of it but anything can be done. I might be wrong but wouldn't u joints be stronger (and cheaper)???? Good spicer u joints aren't that much.

With the way the axle shafts are from the IFS not sure about that kind of a swap but I would just replace the u joints, when I had bought some for a 92sport I had I believe they were 15bucks a piece. The ujoints would be an easier replacement.

Thanks for your answers!!!
You are rigth, U joints are cheaper, and depending on the cv joint, may be stronger.

But i need to replace the axle shafts, because the 4 holes to install each U joint are too big... here in Argentina I can't get new axle shafts, and repairing old ones aren't an easy job...

My English is poor, but I hope you can undestand what i am saying...!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for your answers!!!
You are rigth, U joints are cheaper, and depending on the cv joint, may be stronger.

But i need to replace the axle shafts, because the 4 holes to install each U joint are too big... here in Argentina I can't get new axle shafts, and repairing old ones aren't an easy job...

My English is poor, but I hope you can undestand what i am saying...!!!!

Thanks again!!!

If you can't get new axle shafts, then how are you going to install CV joints??? U-Joints are the only way to go for your vehicle. On a 1st gen (91-94) the U-joint fits within the Beam. The CV joints on 2nd gens would be a logical choice, but they have a much larger overall diameter than 1st gen U-Joints and wouldn't fit within the beam.

Well, I will go with the reparation...

I thougth that if I need to bring the axle shaft to a machinist for repairing, he can made custom axle shafts with cv joints and solve my problem definitively.

But you're right, cv joints diameter are larger than u joints.

Thanks!!!

U-joints are typically stronger than CV joints anyway, and they're easier to repair if something does break. I'd much rather replace a U-joint on the side of the trail than rebuild a CV joint.

Back