manual winch for 20' trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual winch for 20' trailer

did some calculations and a winch rated for 2000 lbs should be fine strength wise for pulling a vehicle onto my trailer-

there is a 3500 lb rated model at Northern with two gear ratios... the steepest being 12:1.

any experience with how that would actually work in the real world for pulling 3500-4000 lb objects on wheels up onto the trailer?

a "real" winch is out of the question due to storage concerns (and I don't want to have to take it on and off all the time)

thoughts?

thanks a ton

-Drew

Save yourself the trouble and get a real winch. I have been there done that with manual trailer winches and it sucks. I have an 8000lb harbor freight winch bolted permanetly to my trailer deck and I wouldnt have it any other way. Before that was a smaller utility/atv electric winch and it worked OK.

that's not really what I want to hear lol

economy sucks! no overtime and I want a new welder too

Its really not too bad. The first winch I used only cost around $60. You can find very cheap winches now and that is really all you need. Ebay and even some offroad stores sell cheap ones like smittybuilt winches that are just fine for trailer duty that may only see a few pulls a year. My 8000lb harbor freight winch cost me around $250 on sale.

I suppose if you only use it once in a while a hand crank would be fine, that is what I did for many years using a come-a-long. It just really sucks and is so much work. I like pressing a button much better :D

i like to suffer- so long as i can get my car home with a blown tranny!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back