rear driveshaft disconnected; front drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear driveshaft disconnected; front drive

it will be kind of hard to drive forward and backwards with it in 2 wheel drive and no rear drive line. I would suggest after you hook to your tow vehicle have some one watch the front drive line and make sure it is not turning, if it is back up the tow vehicle just enough to have the hubs disengage so the front drive line is not turning, then go.

I have pulled my 4x4 93 2dr, EB four wheels down behind moter homes for over 100K miles. Right after I bought it I had a Remco rear axle disconnect installed. The remco disconnect handle is right under the driver seat. Many times I have used the "auto" button to engage the front drive only to back the EX away from the MH, and then to drive to the campsite. The EX has
185K on it now without a problem. However, I do not drive up to the MH in front wheel drive to hitch up.

Will be towing a 94 explorer 4WD touch drive Florida to Nova Scotia flat with the rear drive shaft removed. Has any one tried driving short distances (100 yards or so) with the front wheel drive only. This used to work fine with my old 81 Bronco with manual hubs. Will it work with automatic/touch-drive transfer case? Thanks for your input. F.T.

when I towed my s-10 4x4 blazer I had to remove the front drive shaft to keep it from binding. I left the rear intact.

HaHa .. i had a fullsized bronco that i did remove the rear driveshaft and I would go to the park and bet ppl I could smoke my front tires off. usually when i need the $$ to replace the tires. and it did great in the snow, the the np208 transfre case in the bronco is built diffrent and fluid would not leak out with the rear shaft gone. I assume. I havent looked at the bottom of the explorer in months. but I do recall thinking I cant do that with this turck b/c the out put shaft set up

4 wheel down towing

Gentlemen: Thanks for all the input. The recent input from "JOCO" most
closely resembled my situation. Have just completed the
just over 2000 mile trip from Florida to Nova Scotia with the
drive shaft removed, transfer case in 2wd and transmission in
neutral. No problems of any kind. Also the Explorer was un-
hooked and driven a total of approx 100 miles while the shaft
was removed using 4WD to power the front wheels only .Again
no problems. The shaft is back in now.
Thanks again, Francis Tibbetts

Back