• Register Today It's free!

5.4 question

rocket2ya

Reaction score
City, State
PHX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mountaineer v8
will a 5.4 out of a newer f150 fit into my 02 mountaineer. the damn 4.6 seems like s*** to me i have gone through two of them. and if it does fit how hard would it be to install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone else? i either want to swap out my 4.6 for a 5.0 or a 5.4.
please let me know if its possible. i need to do this asap because my truck is sitting in the driveway unable to drive.

I know the 5.4L is a bit taller and wider than the 4.6L and that causes swap issues in Mustangs. However the Explorers seem to have a bit more room in the engine compartment so I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.

The 4.6L and the 5.4L are identical motors for the most part so if you're having issues with the 4.6L, the 5.4L may not solve your issues.

I have worked on a 5.4 dohc swap into a 2001 Mustang GT owned by a good friend (eventually had 850 whp for what it's worth).

This is not likely to fit at all nor will it be cost efficient unless you plan on REALLY pushing the envelope of the power a 4.6 can handle. Buy a slightly build 4.6 if you need to.

A mustang is slightly different obviously, but the 5.4 is large!

He had to modify everything from steering to accessories to the hood and the lower part of firewall.
-

our 02 4.6L has 100k on it and still runs like a champ never an issue

stick with the 4.6 unless you got buckets of $$ for custome stuff :cool:

a 5.4 is the same in alot of ways but also different, and the 5.0 swap is completley different

like said above if your worried about issues buy a mildly built longblock or even go all out

5.4 shouldn't be that difficult of a swap if you use all the 4.6 stuff. The physical difference between the two motors is the deck hieght, the added deck highth is where the extra cubes come from. It is much heavier than your 4.6 as your block is aluminum and all 5.4 blocks are iron. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 100# more so you may need to upgrade your front springs or your front end may sag under the extra weight. You may have to have an exhaust shop extend your mid pipe a bit to reach the headers.

You may have to extend some wiring harness areas and extend some vacuum lines, you'll also need an 8 bolt flexplate if you don't already have one. All the sensors should match up. Mustang guys run these with their stock PCM but a custom tune is very beneficial.

Here is a lot of good swap info. http://www.sullivanperformance.com/YVS450/tech/tech1.htm

As for your reasons to do so, I'm not sure what your doing to these motors to go through them so quick, I beat on my Mustang 4.6 like it owes me money, drag race it almost every week, wind it up to 5800 to shift, launch at 4500 RPM and I've had no motor issues except a cracked plasitc intake, and they are prone to failure pre 2001 (plastic coolant crossover.) If your blowing up 4.6's like back cats, a 5.4 is not going to help you at all as the 5.4 is essentially a stroked 4.6.

i have had the bottom end of my 4.6 blow out twice now in two different engines and i also have a 5.4 f150 that seems to be solid. i do tend to push it a little bit but this new engine only had 29k on it and now its knockin like crazy.

if you had two bottom ends go out on you then your doing something wrong

im not riding it as hard as other people and idk why im going through them either. my mechanic said the bottom ends of the 4.6 is a weak point on the engine and has seen them go many times. i might just get another 4.6 as its under warranty so it would be free and stick it in there and sell the damn thing. but if i were to stick a 5.4 in would all of the electrical stuff be the same?

a 4.6 under stock trim isnt weak by far, the bottom ends are the week point though when boosted and pushing more then 450rwhp (on stock internals)

these motors you've put in are they new ? or rebuilds ? could be a bad rebuilder dont know what there doin...

a buddies work truck had close to 500,000klm on a 97 4.6 no issues and used very little oil in the end but trannies were a different issue lol

the one with 29k i got from a junk yard that was rebuilt by ford.

I'd suspect the rebuild and not the engine itself. The 4.6 is a good engine in design, though none of the modular engines make 1hp/liter like a DOHC should.

Take the warranted engine, and take really good care of it.

ive seen 3 or 4 people i know with spun bearings in sohc 4.6s, but only 1 was stock at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

is there anything i can do to beef it up so it wont happen again??i dont want to have to drive like a grandpa.

is there anything i can do to beef it up so it wont happen again??i dont want to have to drive like a grandpa.

There's plenty you can do to beef it up. Start with finding a good machine shop to line hone the main journals and chemically clean the block. Have them mill the deck to make them true and do the same with the heads. Invest in a high quality set of main and rod bearings, this is not the place to save money. Clevite is the only bearing I will even consider. Have the cylinders rehoned, that low mileage should not require any boring unless you have oiling system issues. Get a good set of rings also. If you want more power, Trick Flow is releasing a new set of heads for the 4.6L motors here in the next few weeks and expectations are very high for them, somewhere in the 400rwhp range without any power adders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd get on a forum that has a lot more 4.6 discussions, like a late Mustang forum. The same basic engine tips they would have will apply to any normal modular engine. I really like to build engines, but it isn't the simplest thing to do and not make mistakes. The modular engines are more complicated due to the valvetrain, but it still comes down to great care in assembly.

Back