• Register Today It's free!

Good place to mount switches?

ctrucke

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.6L V8
Wondering if anyone knows of a good place to put a couple of power switches on my 2003 Explorer? I'd rather not buy an entire switch box, so if you have any good ideas let me know. Hidden/not readily visible is what I'm going for. I just need two switches. I'm an EMT and mounting some LEDs in the front and back.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might need quicker access than this but i put a switch for my subs inside my glove box i can reach it just fine without taking off my seatbelt and its in the box so its well hidden

Any pictures? If you have them that would be helpful. If not, no big deal. Somewhere accessable but not really visible would be nice.

What about mounting them inside the center counsel? Close and concealed.

i have blue lights, i have a switch mounted in my center console... i will get a pic for you and upload it for you...

I mounted a switch in my overhead console. It's very hard to even notice from just sitting in the seats. And it looks like it's supposed to be there. very simple to install.
Just pulled the pillars and tucked it under the headliner.
DSCN0569.jpg

I mounted a switch in my overhead console. It's very hard to even notice from just sitting in the seats. And it looks like it's supposed to be there. very simple to install.
DSCN0569.jpg

Very clean and nice. could you give me more detail as far as how it was installed? i was a little confused then you said you pulled the pillars....
I too will be an EMT in need of a place to put lights and I really like where that switch is.

BTW, what is that switch for? just curious.

Very clean and nice. could you give me more detail as far as how it was installed? i was a little confused then you said you pulled the pillars....
I too will be an EMT in need of a place to put lights and I really like where that switch is.

BTW, what is that switch for? just curious.

It's for my Brown Wire Mod. So my wiring originates in the passenger side door sill. I removed the sill opened the glove box (dropped it down to gain better access), removed the A pillar (part next to winsdshield where the passenger grab handle is) ran the wires up there and stuffed it underneath the headliner then pulled it through the existing holes in the headliner under the overhead console.

as just an EMT, i doubt you'd be responding POV (as a VFF, yes, you could) - You can also mount the switches on the bezel next to the stereo if you don't have the switches on the passenger side.

PErsonally, i have a speaker mounted where that switch is - attached a piece of black fabric over it as a grille - makes for a nice 2 way radio speaker - especially with all the radios with remote mount heads, etc.

l_cd550b79961d43d9bf791a60fe706617.png

this is my switch on my remote line for my amp

Black92LX said:
How did you get the console down in order to mount the switch? I need to get to the dome light bulbs but don't want to break the console in doing so.

I had the same exact black circular switch as Black92LX mounted where my right knee is on the side of the center console. Very out of the way.

Back