• Register Today It's free!

cant unlock with the key

citheman2012

Reaction score
City, State
chicago il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 limited 4X4
i cant unlock any of my doors or my rear hatch with the key. i never noticed this problem before(been using the keyfob). the key goes in and out freely but i cant turn the key at all any ideas of how to fix this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most likely cause is your chicago weather... :) If you haven't used your manual locks in a long time and with "weathering", the "tumblers/fingers" get clogged / frozen. You can try WD but depending how bad things are, they may need to be disassembled and cleaned (by a locksmith).

damn any idea how much that is gonna run me?

I paid ~120 for all 3 locks in my sport, the PO never used the key to open, just the FOB
Basically they just cleaned them, I don't recall having any parts replaced (that was early 2003)

spray wd-40 or another type of penetating oil in there, it should to the trick! then stick the key in and wiggle try it, just keep moving the key eventually it should turn. You should also spray the latch while your at it! If that dosn't work, take the lock unit out and sumberge it in wd-40 for a few hours or over night.

I had the same problem with my 97. One squirt of PB blaster fixed them. PB contains a catalist that brakes down corrosion. it also lubercates. now they work like new.:navajo:

I have a similar problem with my '97, so I bought some locks from a '99, I've changed the rear hatch to a '99 hatch anyway, turns out the keys for the '99 locks fit the '97 locks... how strange.

Si

Hey blueka I have been thinking about changing out my hatch. How involved is that? It looks like the tail lights are diferent. how heavy is it? the fact that your key fits it is a little scarry.

I found a '99 Explorer being broken for parts, so I picked up the tail lights, and hatch, with wiring loom for not very much money.

I went about it the wrong way and took off the hinges, as a result it doesn't sit straight and is bent, so I need another hatch. Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it on your own, at 3am in the dark. The rear hatch is quite heavy and I don't recommend resting it on your head, as it hurts and makes your head bleed!

but other than that, it's pretty much plug n play. I do have a slight issue with crossed wiring, but I think that's down to a damaged loom under my rear seat that I'll address when the weather gets better.

and as for the keys... I think that's 1 chance in a million of that happening. One key is a pats key, the other is a plain key. But on the upside, I now have 3 keys. I just need some more fobs.

Si

on my way to autozone now

Hey 2012 did it work? I kind of had to borrow your thread for a minute to ask about the liftgate. I hope that wasn':navajo:t a foul.

If relubing the locks doesn't work (I really can't see all 5 locks frozen at the same time) what you may be dealing with is that someone replaced the ignition lock cylinder at some point and then they just did what you are doing, use the fobs to lock/unlock the doors. Your locks might be fine but you have the wrong key for them!

All 3 of mine were frozen, besides, even a 4 door has only 3 not 5 hehehe the rear doors don't come with locks :p:

I noticed this the other day when my battery died and the fob wouldnt work. I tried using the key to manually unlock the door and it wouldnt work! Luckily, the passenger door was open. I'll try a little PB or WD in the lock mechanism to try and free it up.

Cheepest method first right? I assume when someone doesn't return to thier thread that they fixed the problem.:thumbsup:

if you have an RKE system and never use the locks, make it a habit of at least putting the key in each and turning them a few times at each oil change.

moving my question to a new thread, sorry.

normally not responding to your own thread means you got it fixed. well i shot all 3 locks with pb and nothing i got some metal flakes so im guessing that the locks are toast. ill just deal with parking the truck close to the house so i can hear the alarm. unless somone in the chicago area happens to have a lock they want to pass off

Back