Temp Always reads -40

zkeeton

Reaction score
City, State
Fergus Falls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello:

Just purchased a 97 Explorer this weekend, and noticed that the Temp reading on the overhead consol is always -40. The compas direction is accurate, but not the temp.

I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself, would this more than likely be caused by the ambient air temp sensor or the display unit being faulty?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually that means a bad connection to the temp sensor.

-mc

Since this is many months afterwords you've probably already fixed it BUT daughter now had my 1998 Sport with a 20 degree off problem and while I haven't gotten into it yet. Would rather suspect the sensor itself has gone bad OR it might be a mouting issue I had on my 96 ranger. Crash sensor bracket rusted out and gave me a check engine code (don't recall what it was) but a new sensor correctd it (perhaps a ground).

Another thing you could try to fix the problem is to get into the truck and leave Minnesota! Drive south a good 12 to 14 hours or so and check the readout again.;)

Explorer OAT sensor

Spent the 17 bucks for a new sensor but no luck....still off 10 degrees

-40?! get out of Antarctica lol

Explorer OAT sensor

Someone has to reside in a cold weather climate, earn a living, pay taxes, support big government etc.

Apparently the computer component associated with the sensor had to reset / recalibrate as the next time the ignition switch was cycled the OAT is on the money.
:usa:

Back