Fixed one gas leak... found another | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixed one gas leak... found another

artgod33

Reaction score
City, State
Patriot Nation
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
Finally got my fuel pump connected and not working.

ran the truck for a mintue to make sure it worked (sounds great )

and then saw a nice puddle of gas under the tranny.

I figured out it was coming formt he fuel pressure regulator and trickling down.

After further review I realized thta when I swapped my fuel pressure regullator a few months ago I didn't tighten one side of it down. It honestly looked like I stared it then wen tot the other one and never went back and screwed the first one in.

So I tighted it but the Haynes manual said the torque specs were real low so I din't make it too tight.

it was better but still not stopped.

So I went to tighten them some more when I lost the socket inthe eninge bay and can't find it.

Of course Id idn't have another one so I ahve to buy a new one and go and tighten it down.

If this doesn't work does anyone have any idea what else it could be?

I am hoping its really just my stupidity.

If it still leaks after the regulator is correctly tightened, take it back off and check the o-ring for damage. You might've nicked it when installing the regulator. When you re-install the new one, add a little vaseline on the o-ring, so it isn't installed dry.

Oull the unit.. sure enogh... broken o ring.

I called the autozone I got it from... they will replace th epart under warranty. Picking it up after work a hopefully my truck will be running strong again!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Glad it was something easy to fix.

Back