Reviving my 95 finally after 2+ years! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reviving my 95 finally after 2+ years!

Don't know if it could be an issue inside the maf itself but you can take it off and use electrical contact cleaner and try cleaning the elements thats on it (elements maybe reffered to a different name) I had cleaned the one on my 92 and it had made a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As he said try cleaning it with electronic parts cleaner (not carb cleaner). There is nothing you can fix on the unit besides cleaning it. I have a spare from a first gen Explorer, but I'm not sure it's calibrated correctly for the '95. I've never tried to swap a MAF from one year to another.

MAF Cleaning

I did one more cleaning with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner. Think there would be any benefit from making a radio shack run for the electric parts cleaner and cleaning it again?

Going to change the plug and see if I can at least eliminate the popping. All plugs black and sooty now.

Ped5stang has a MAF for $45. He has a thread on the site... I read another thread saying never to try a used MAF. What is your thought on the subject? New is going to be $93 bucks from Auto zone special order.

I personally don't like trying to use used electronic components for the motor. Have you tried lightly rubbing a qtip when you cleaned the MAF? Thats what I used and seemed to really pick off dirt that didn't appear to be there.

Cleaning

Well, I pulled the plug that had the non firing wire. The ceramic was cracked. Replaced it and the motor runs without the pop. Without the MAF hooked up it runs rough, but runs. Idles about 1400 and stays running in gear.

Went to Radio Shack and bought the Electronics Cleaner. Cleaned the MAF for the 4th time using the E Cleaner and Q-tips. (I had previously used very small detail paint brushes). No luck.

Now the only decision is to buy the $45 used item off the board or pay Auto Zone $93 plus tax...

Sorry cleaning the MAF didn't work for ya..... Now its your call on which MAF to buy. If you go used just ask him to get it out of the lowest mileage engine as possible.

I appreciate the suggestions and it was definitely worth taking another swing at the cleaning if it could save some dough! Weird how all these parts that worked fine 2 years ago now are bad from just sitting... fuel pump, guages, maf,...

Back to Square 1

So almost the same results with a new MAF. Runs (rough) on its own if MAF disconnected, but barely runs with MAF connected. Seems to be just a little better with the new one, but not enough to justify the expense. With truck running and MAF disconnected the exaust is very strong and smells rich.

So MAF itself does not appear to be the problem. Wires running to MAF? Something in the MAF curcuit? Is there a fuse associated with the MAF?

With the truck running (or not) significantly worse when MAF connected does it rule out the other parts of the fuel/spark systems?
All injectors are new so hopefully that is not part of the problem. Plugs all new.

Wouldn't a vaccum leak act the same regardless of the MAF connection? At least now that it mostly runs I can check for vaccum leaks more easily.

What should compression be? I probably should check to make sure I didn't screw up the torquing of the heads... Maybe check coolant for oil...

Leak

Finally got back into it.

Found a huge vaccum leak where metal tube running from what I think is the PCV (or EGR?) valve sits right over the driver's side exhaust manifold. Does this tube use some sort of gasket or rubber O-Ring where it fits into the upper intake manifold?

I had a hard time getting this to fit when I reassembled the motor so this was the first place I looked for a leak and sure enough...

Wondering if I am missing an O-Ring or gasket?

Sorry can't help with that one... I'm pretty sure the '93 non California 4.0s don't have EGR valves...

At least you've tracked it down. Now just have to figure out how it all goes together;)

I'm getting worried about the Pumpkin sitting for so long now that I read your thread. It's barely been driven in the last year and a half. Probably less than 2oo miles in that time. I better get it out and give it some exercise!

Late in the day!

Yes, I need to figure it out quickly as Carla test drove a Wrangler Unlimited yesterday and after 2 years parked its getting harder to justify keeping the X. Hoping someone has the answer to the gasket/o-ring question as nothing similar came in the gasket kit that I bought when I did the heads...

By the way... What are Elite dues now? I owe you some $$$!

Why aren't you driving the pumpkin? Get another X?

I've got a friend that bought an H3 last year ($800 a month payments!) and takes it off road almost every weekend. Its been striped and broken more than my Explorer already. Need to get the Explorer running so that I won't have to be seen taking the wife's Unlimited out!

I've been working on another project... err, money pit. I can only afford to play with one at a time;) www.rhphoto.com/dart.html

Once the car is complete, the Explorer with get it's long over due attention.

If you don't get a reply to this thread try starting another asking specifically about your situation.

Dart

Wow. That's serious beast you are building! I'll have to come over and see it.

Finally got back into it.

Found a huge vaccum leak where metal tube running from what I think is the PCV (or EGR?) valve sits right over the driver's side exhaust manifold. Does this tube use some sort of gasket or rubber O-Ring where it fits into the upper intake manifold?

I had a hard time getting this to fit when I reassembled the motor so this was the first place I looked for a leak and sure enough...

Wondering if I am missing an O-Ring or gasket?

If you are talking about the metal line coming from the egr valve to the lower side of the upper intake manifold yes there is a green o-ring that goes on that metal fitting and then into the upper intake...The o-ring I have only seen in the plenum gasket set...

O-Ring

That's the one! Thanks ranger7ltr! Time for a trip to the dealer.

GM,

Glad to see you back, how did you make out with this? Your Sport "Expedition" was the inspiration for my truck (along with Ricks etc) when I found this site in 96? Hope to see your Ex back in action.

Back

Thanks for the kind words! It has been a long time. Still not much progress on the beast. Fixed the large leak, but there seems to be more so the X has been sitting in the side yard waiting its turn to be worked on. At this point all of the vehicles are being neglected as we replace the water heater, portions of the roof, plumbing etc...
We just bought a Rubicon Unlimited so there is some pressure from the spouse (and the checkbook) to sell the Explorer... Resisting the urge to give in and sell it even though I know someone else with more time and money could probably give it a good home! Always regretted selling my Scout II years ago so I don't want to go through that extreme emotional trauma again. Might have to seek counseling!

Don't give in and sell it, you'll gett'er goin again one of these days. I regret ever selling my one explorer awhile back even though it wasn't in perfect shape I loved that thing to death lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

You are right. I'll regret it if I sell! At least I paid my Elite dues today! Gotta start somewhere...

Back