1994 manual 4WD Explorer toad towed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 manual 4WD Explorer toad towed

Enginator

Reaction score
City, State
Pikes Peak region
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT Manual Tranny
What mods if any need to be made to tow the 1994 manual tranny, 4WD XLT behind a diesel pusher RV?

Will the input shaft have any issues with lubrication? This manual tranny has ATF lube

I have the heavy duty tow bar and mounting plates for the front from another 94 XLT

Is all I have t do;

Place it in neutral.
Leave key in switch to allow steering to track or disable sterring lock mech.
Add Toad Brake.

Someone said I need to replace the Automatic lockers so I could disengage the Front drive but they are well maintained and work well. This ain't Jeep!

Experience? Answers please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a drive shaft disconnect for the rear. The transmission is designed to be driven by the engine so the input shaft is geared to the countershaft, th ecounter shaft hangs below it (in the oil) there is no pump, so lubrication relies on the countershaft turning. The transmission will not lubricate itself unless the countershaft rotates. In neutral it will be still and mainshaft will still be turing, for 50 or so miles it would not be an issue but long drives over the road you will kill it. also your auto hubs should be fine as they are design to free-wheel anyway.

**Unless you have a manual T-case..... they will neutral tow.
there may be kits available to operate your elect shift into neutral... I've spotted thread before about neutral tow kit but I think it applies to newer trucks

Thanks brian,

I think there is probably a way to disengage the electric shift for the RWD on these older explorers with manual tranny. I had heard that the kits available from Ford do not go back beyond 1996. Perhaps someone has worked it out and will respond.

I have the REMCO decoupler for a 1994 automatic setup but it would have to be cut down and rewelded for the different sized drive shaft.

you dont HAVE to put the t-case in neutral to tow, just the trans.

Have the t-case in 2-HI, and with your good hubs (your statement), you should be good to go.

NOTE: your odometer will indicate distance traveled, its driven off the speedo cable (on the output of the t-case for the rear axle). even with the t-case in neutral (if you choose to mod it for that), it will still rack miles.

Just put the trans is neutral, ign lock unlocked (or disabled), some sort of brake (if required by your tow bar, some dont need them), the light wiring (will be required), and your good.

Ford does NOT recomend towing longer than 50 miles without either the t-case in neutral or the driveshaft removed/disconnected, tranny in nuetral doesn't cut it.

for a manual trans?? that would be news to me.

Ive seen manual trans towed across country and never seemed to hurt them.... JMO

I have a manual tranny and transfer case so for me to tow i should put the trasfer case in neutral, key in ignition and im good?

I had read elsewhere that the tranny might dry out around the output shaft bearings if it was spun for that long without getting any lubricant splash.
I would have no problem towing 50 miles or less as I beleive the ATF type lube in the manual tranny would persist for that long but 1,500 miles [my typical trip] would be exessive.

Apparently Ford had a neutral shift adaptor kit for 1996 and later manual tranny models of Explorer that worked with a reflash of the shift computer to park the transfer case in "neutral' and stop the tranny from spinning! Does anyone know if the neutral shift kit could be adapted to a 1994 manual with electric shift Xfer case? I guess my best bet would be to retrofit a manually engaged transfer case. What model would work? From what year part car?

I wonder if REMCO or someone makes any kind of lubricant pump solution? Since the output shaft spins whenever the transfer case is engaged [which is all the time on the pre 1996 models then the tranny might be damaged?

More thoughts and input?

Any more input on towing a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD with Manual Tranny would be much appreciated. Probably the same as a 1993 too.

If your clever you could modify the contacter cap on the shift motor and add a neutral stop to the plate, another idea is to get a small fluid pump and add a pair of pipe fitting to the trans one top and one on the bottom to circulate fluid(over complicated and probably not reliable
Sounds like modifying your driveshaft is the quick and easy solution, you should have a driveline shop nearby that can do it for a reasonable price.

Back