01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion

The C/O conversion is pretty straight forward. Buy the shocks and mouting parts and bolt it on. There is some welding involved as you have to gusset the shock towers. But it rides better than the torsion bars, and I no longer have the t-bars hanging down below my truck catching everything insight. The cost was about $1100 because I bought Fox coilovers. If anyone wants to buy my setup it will be for sale soon as I am going to start my SAS and have it done before Moab 09.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Johnstone, you mean your front end is stock? other then the TT? the factory wheel well is that big to fit 35s?

You can fit 35's, but you have to do alot of cutting. btw he has a body lift as well.

just wondering, but if i replace the front shocks on my ST with bigger shocks, such as F-150 shocks or something, will this lift the front end of my Sport Trac, or not?

where do you buy the body lifts? I cant find them for a 05 sport trac.

just wondering, but if i replace the front shocks on my ST with bigger shocks, such as F-150 shocks or something, will this lift the front end of my Sport Trac, or not?

Unfortunatly not, The best route for that would to get a superlift kit, or to do a coilover converion, but that is very hard.

I wouldnt suggest a TT, unless you really want a crappy ride, and break stuff faster. IF you do do a TT, DONT go more than 2".

Ok, here's some info on my SOA conversion that I did in March 2003.
I was really motivated to get this done, since RockRanger had so much fun out at Truckhaven 2003 getting me high centered. :shoot:

So here's what I did to achieve what I did. You can do yours differently. But, mine will give you knowledge of the basics.

I got the perches from a local 4x4 shop. I had to grind on them a little bit to fit my axle tube. I think I paid $12 for the perches. Other guys I know have bought some online that are specific for the 8.8 tubes and are supposed to help with axle wrap. If I am in the sand and accelerate hard I get axle wrap. Google axle wrap if you don't know what I'm talking about. :D

I removed my anti-sway bar and just mounted the shocks to the open holes left. Others have bought shock mounting tabs and had them welded onto the tubes. If you use the stock u-bolt plates(just flipped over) and mount the shocks like I did, then you will need to cut off the old shock mounts so that they don't hit the shocks.

My friend tried to weld the perches, but didn't do a good enough job. So, I just tightened the u-bolts as best as I could and carefully drove to a muffler shop and let had them weld the perches for me.

The brake line needs to be extended. Since I have the drum brakes the T connector is on the pumpkin and was easy to elevate using some flat steel with 90 degree bends in it. I did at first use the stock brake lines, but they look bad, so eventually I just got some new ones and bent them to look ok. But, also had to get a tube flaring took kit cuz the brake tubes I bought at the auto store, the inner fittings didn't fit in the T connector and I had to reuse the stock fittings from the original lines.

And the home made clamps keep the load spring from moving and possible damaging tires or gas tank.

I think that's about it. :D

Edit - I just found this link for some 8.8 perches for only $30
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com....html?osCsid=47f89af0f502a5ed54688d9220e771b0

Here's my picture taken recently. You may need a tendinitis shot after looking at my rusty truck.

soa001.jpg

soa002.jpg

soa003.jpg

soa004.jpg

Torstion Keys

Will this really lift your truck without stressing out the suspension?

thanks. that info is really helpful. what did you do to lift the front end of your truck?

Ok, here's some info on my SOA convesion that I did in March 2003.
I was really motivated to get this done, since RockRanger had so much fun out at Truckhaven 2003 getting me high centered. :shoot:

So here's what I did to achieve what I did. You can do yours differently. But, mine will give you knowledge of the basics.

Edit - I just found this link for some 8.8 perches for only $30
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com....html?osCsid=47f89af0f502a5ed54688d9220e771b0

Here's my picture taken recently. You may need a tendinitis shot after looking at my rusty truck.

what perches are they on that web site

also what did you do about your rear drive shaft everyone tells me that ill pop u joints daily. ???

also what did you do about your rear drive shaft everyone tells me that ill pop u joints daily. ???
I've never had a problem with my stock driveshaft.

thanks. that info is really helpful. what did you do to lift the front end of your truck?
If you are asking me, my front end does not have a front suspension lift yet. They are very expensive to buy brand new. Usually over $2000.

so yours sits about 6 inches or so higher in the rear, and the front is still factory?

so yours sits about 6 inches or so higher in the rear, and the front is still factory?
I'd say its about 5 inches of lift in the rear. Don't forget I have a 3" body lift. But as of TODAY, I have no front suspension lift.

does it look out of proportion? if i just did the SOA in the back, would it look awful if nothing was up front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it look out of proportion? if i just did the SOA in the back, would it look awful if nothing was up front?

Yes it looks out of proportion.
Yes it would look awful if nothing was up front.

Back