• Register Today It's free!

head gasket kit recommendations

bad.shimmy

Reaction score
City, State
auburn wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
just found the foamy oil thing so i'm guessing head gasket and so im going to buy the kit. but was wondering if there is a certain head gasket kit that is a little taller and would increase compression. or am i wrong about that?:)

thanks all

p.s. 1991 eddie bauer 4x4:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just found the foamy oil thing so i'm guessing head gasket and so im going to buy the kit. but was wondering if there is a certain head gasket kit that is a little taller and would increase compression. or am i wrong about that?:)

thanks all

p.s. 1991 eddie bauer 4x4:cool:

If you got a "taller" Gasket set that will Decrease the compression ratio! Your Piston if you imagine only moves up and down at a set distance, the compression ratio is a measurement of your bore with how much space there is in the combustion chamber (at full compression TDC) Stroke is the calculation for how much Up and Down movement your piston has. (sorry don't know how they calculate the ratio but this will help you understand the basics) Therefor if you Hightened your Head..... you will create a LARGER Combustion chamber Therefor Lowering your Compression ratio as your Bore and Stroke don't change but your Space/ Compression area does.
HOWEVER with that said a gasket is not going to be anything noticable they usually come in a set standard sizing and I would not put anything else in there; I bought mine off of Ebay last time very cheap and came with everything including New Head Bolts witch is REQUIRED. Make sure you know what you are doing before you start! or take it to a shop. Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

For most of the head gasket set, we just used a fel-pro set.. For the lower intake gasket and the valve cover gaskets we used the Ford metal/rubber gaskets. They gave me a better warm fuzzy feeling than using the normal paper or cork gaskets..

they cost a little more, but the place I got my head gasket set took some of the money off on the price since I didn't take the lower intake or valve cover gaskets from them. I got the lower intake and valve cover gaskets from Torrie at www.fastpartsnetwork.com (a site vendor)..

~Mark

foamy oil doesn't always mean head gasket it could be your lower intake or a cracked head,make sure you find where its coming from and have the heads tested before sticking it back together allways worth it.and if you want high compression get the 95tm heads and put them on they dont crack as easy and will give you 10:1 i just did it,i had the same problem and it was the lower intake gasket but i went ahead and replaced the heads WELL WORTH IT!!my thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235660
here is a cheap place to get gaskets also,ive used them three times they just dont have the fancy rtv on it!!
without bolts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...ryZ33665QQihZ010QQitemZ200319293824QQtcZphoto
with head bolts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...ryZ33665QQihZ022QQitemZ350177132256QQtcZphoto

just replaced the lower intake manifold gasket a few months back. so im probably looking at cracked heads then?

i've also got a 92 2 door. will the heads off of it work?

thanks for all the info i appreciate it i'll have to check out the links you sent.

cheers
j

yea I got 95 heads on my 92 just have the heads tested first but 92 crack real easy I would just buy the 95 that I got and switch all parts and it I will also increase you to 10;1 so more power and reliable
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks all

thanks much for all the recommendations.

j

p.s.how much for the the heads? from your 95

the oil wasnt actually foamy it just had little spots of foam on the dipstick. the oil looked ok aside from that.

the oil wasnt actually foamy it just had little spots of foam on the dipstick. the oil looked ok aside from that.

yea im having that same problem again I think my lower intake keeps coming loose and leaks around there.if you just replaced yours awile ago you might want to check the bolts.the heads are engine quest heads they are on ebay I think around 150 the link is in my other thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Back