• Register Today It's free!

Help!! No Reverse

jcdubs

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
This morning I was backing out of my driveway and all of a sudden it felt like it popped into neutral. All the forward gears work fine,no reverse. Manual 1st gear works but no engine braking.
So I pulled the pan to check if the reverse band broke, Nothing in the pan, I pulled the reverse servo out, servo looks good, tip is in nice shape, o-rings look good, gasket looks good, pushed a screw driver up on the reverse band and it has spring tension and feels good. The only thing I did notice is the gasket above the plate was pushed out! can this cause no reverse?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh well no help needed. It just took a s**t completely. Grinding ,banging fluid all over the place. What a mess. Ford wants $1900 for a reman. Looks like I will r&r it next week.

where is the fluid coming from? the trans itself? what your describing sounds like what i went through when my tcase crapped out. do a search for shift fork problems.

jc, the picture has changed since I replied to your email. I also say investigate the T-Case first.

Thanks guys, Looks like the fluid is coming out of one of the servo's? on the passenger side, dripping on the converter.
I thought if the transfer case went it would have no gears? forward or reverse?

I thought if the transfer case went it would have no gears? forward or reverse?

When mine went I had no reverse. Reverse would just make the grinding noise. 1-5 worked fine, just the grinding noise when coasting.

Ok here's what I did, Friday night I replaced the vb gaskets and the first/rev servo o-rings to see if this would solve my problems. It didn't work. When reverse went on Thursday it made no noise, nothing at all just like it was in neutral.
On the way home after the vb gaskets it started grinding in forward when slowing down. Fluid started leaking out of the transmission up above the converter by the heat sheild.
I have not looked at it since, I have another project in my garage, can't pull the Ex in until that is done.
How can I test the transfer case?

Remove the transfer case, and turn the input shaft. Check the output shaft to see if it turns. If not, then open it up, and check for damage. I think that the shift fork, and possibly other parts are broken.

Remove the transfer case, and turn the input shaft. Check the output shaft to see if it turns. If not, then open it up, and check for damage. I think that the shift fork, and possibly other parts are broken.

thats not always going to tell you whether you have a problem with the case. my output shaft worked perfectly when my shift fork went bad.

but in his case with neither forward or reverse not working properly this prob will tell him he has a problem or not.

How would a transfer case make it work in all forward gears but no reverse?

If its leaking up by the converter, I don't think the transfer case is the issue..

Either way you may as well check the transfer case since you have to pull it out either way to take out the transmission.

Thanks, yeah it has 140,000 on it. so I am going to pull the t-case and check it out. Man the timing just sucks big time lol.

Yeah its never a good time haha, mine went right before my college semester started..

Well I pulled the trans today, It is the trans and not the transfer case. On the side of the transmission right next to the reverse band the case is punced out about the size of a pee. That is where the fluid was leaking from.

Oh, and ford engineers are on the pipe. Lol

Back