• Register Today It's free!

Custom CV Driveshaft

jmdirk

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93
I need a CV driveshaft for my '93 Ex, the stock 2 joint shaft is running at just over 18 degrees and I've already destroyed one ujoint, the axle side flange yoke and ultimately lost the driveshaft going 50 mph down the highway. That resulted in destroying the transmission extension housing.

I've been talking to Tom Woods about a CV shaft. They're recommending a 1330 or 1350 based shaft with a 3" tube which is all fine and good.

My problem is the output flange on the BW1354 transfer case has a 2.5" x 2.5" bolt pattern which is considered the to be either for a 1310 flange yoke or a "small" 1330 flange yoke. Tom is telling me that they can't supply a CV flange yoke for a 1330 with that bolt pattern. The flange on the 1354 isn't large enough for me to drill and tap new holes for the 3" x 3" bolt pattern that I need.

Wondering what other in my situation have done? I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to be trying to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope someone chimes in because I know Im about to have the same problem.Havent checked the angle yet but with a SOA,4 inch springs,3 inch blocks its lookin bad.I was wondering if the yoke and CV off the front of the 1354 would work on the back??

Strange, we have plenty of SOA-ed Explorers on the site and they do fine and flex fine with the stock driveshaft (although lengthened or shortened depending on the setup). Are you sure your pinion angles are correct (as in did you use an angle finder).

And as for the "SOA,4 inch springs,3 inch blocks", whoa there. Why do you need that much lift?!

to give them 38.5 SXs plenty of clearance:D

I still think you can bring it down a bit and not loose any clearance.

36" SX with SOA stock springs (no blocks) + Warrior shackles.

As it sat:
DSC_0228_resize.JPG

Stuffed in the back:
paragon_10.jpg

paragon_11.jpg

The rear cleared fine with the stock rear springs with SOA and 3 inch block.Its the front that had the issues.Looks like you have full widths under yours.Ive got a nissan H233B rear and a waggy front.Got it all tore apart redoing the front suspension-moving the axle foward 1 inch and adding crossover steering.When I get it back together I'll have to post a few pics.As far as it being so high,why not??

As far as it being so high,why not??
Well other than rolling over, the driveshaft issue ;)

I'm rebuilding mine to sit lower because to minimize rolling over.

LOL!yeah these turds are known to turn upside down:D and I was thinkin bout doing a 3 inch body lift and putting 39.5 TSLs under it:DI dont get crazy on the street with it and there aint no rocks to climb around here.If I play its in the mud.

Was out at my buddies junk yard today and found a 1354 that has CVs on the front and back.Not sure what its out of but Im getting it!Hopefully my problems are solved.Good luck with yours!

Back