• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Mods, 2.0

03xltinnyc

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT V8 4WD
As I am getting ready for my next set of mods on my 3rd gen; I thought I would ask for some opinions. Feel free to say don't bother with these if you feel there are other mods better worth doing...

1. Underdrive pulley

2. Replacing stock cats. Looking at the Magnaflow Direct Fit Cats. Given that I have already swapped out the headers and exhaust should I bother?

3. Ignition system including new wires and plugs

4. Intake Manifold

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UDP's... look for a brand named STEEDA... im 95% sure thats the name...

there could be other names out there that idk off either so look around.

IGNITION... SCREAMIN DEMON coil packs, and wires LARGER than stock, and look up PLUGS on here - theres a thread comparing different brands...

CATS... how strict are your emissions laws ???? i dropped my LAST CAT since it wasnt hooked up to an 02 sensor... so i didnt bother there...

INTAKE MANIFOLD... ????? idk buddy lol

V6 or V8? If it's a 4.6, here are my opinions.
Underdrives are a good bang for the buck.
Intake manifold: For the powerband needed for a truck the stocker is as good as it gets for the 4.6L. The TFS piece really needs ported heads and lots of RPM, the others out there are very top-end oriented so it isn't a good bang for the buck.
I've wondered about the Mangaflow cats myself, the stock cat pipe definitely is a power robber so I'd bet that the Magnaflow piece has got to be better.
Ignition-not worth the $$ unless you are using a power adder.

Mortified Explorers...

As I am getting ready for my next set of mods on my 3rd gen; I thought I would ask for some opinions. Feel free to say don't bother with these if you feel there are other mods better worth doing...

1. Underdrive pulley

2. Replacing stock cats. Looking at the Magnaflow Direct Fit Cats. Given that I have already swapped out the headers and exhaust should I bother?

3. Ignition system including new wires and plugs

4. Intake Manifold

Thanks...

:eek: I'll say no such thing! Keep doing mods until you run out of ideas! :D:thumbsup: A pic or two of your vehicle would help, unless you're doing performance mods only...

V6 or V8? If it's a 4.6, here are my opinions.
Underdrives are a good bang for the buck.
Intake manifold: For the powerband needed for a truck the stocker is as good as it gets for the 4.6L. The TFS piece really needs ported heads and lots of RPM, the others out there are very top-end oriented so it isn't a good bang for the buck.
I've wondered about the Mangaflow cats myself, the stock cat pipe definitely is a power robber so I'd bet that the Magnaflow piece has got to be better.
Ignition-not worth the $$ unless you are using a power adder.

I've got the V8. My buddy has a Mustang with the same engine and mentioned the intake--he has the Performance Products Typhoon intake and likes it. Yes it is top-end oriented but it has apparently helped throughout the rpm range.

Any particular underdrives you recommend or have heard good things about?

in regaurds to the steeda pulleys...make sure to check your water pump for its style(my 03 had a pre-1999(mustang year) water pump style on it!!) This link shows you how to find what water pump you have. make sure you get the right one or you will be sol...or be installing a new water pump like i did.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/water-pump-pulley-identification.html

also, the intake manifold that i have found was a decent piece, but i would hardly call it worth the 12-18 hours to install it(mine required a lot of grinding on the bottom end to fit around the engine block temp sensors)

I used GMS-60,000V ignition coils, they actualy did a pretty good number on my low end torque...but i have also shot 3 spark plugs in the last year...so..

Headers, Tune, CAI, and a cat back exhaust were my best improvements.

in regaurds to the steeda pulleys...make sure to check your water pump for its style(my 03 had a pre-1999(mustang year) water pump style on it!!) This link shows you how to find what water pump you have. make sure you get the right one or you will be sol...or be installing a new water pump like i did.

also, the intake manifold that i have found was a decent piece, but i would hardly call it worth the 12-18 hours to install it(mine required a lot of grinding on the bottom end to fit around the engine block temp sensors)

I used GMS-60,000V ignition coils, they actualy did a pretty good number on my low end torque...but i have also shot 3 spark plugs in the last year...so..

I read your entire upgrade thread a while back...

So of your "secondary" upgrades-- like GMS ignition upgrade and pulley as well as Typhoon intake--you seem less than impressed? Didn't you swap out your stock cats for the Magnaflow ones? Did that offer you much performance gains?

And fyi--I am scheduled for a tune (and swapping out my gears for 4.10s) next month at JDM in NJ. Perhaps I should just stop there since your four mentioned upgrades seem to be the consensus "must haves".

did you tune before or after UDP's?

tune was done after, will full bolt ons...i am less than impressed with my get up power...im planning on doing an MMR 5.3L short block, patriot stage 3 heads, crower cams, and a couple years down the road...a blower...IMO, just skip the bolt on bull crap and go ahead and start modding the motor.

Cat's gave me next to no improvement.

Im currently running

GMS 60,000 volt coils
Professional products manifold
GMS Shark intake plenum
BBK 75mm throttle body
JBA headers
Cat back exhaust
Hi-flowing cats all down the pipe.
K&N intake
Steeda underdrive pullys
Tune via Henson performance.
GMS Big mas.

with all of this...i am lucky to be breaking 315 hp...and im already out a couple of thousand dollars...and im not satisfied.

Here is what my performance looks like..i did this just after installing the Steeda pullys. keep in mind im 4x4 with the 4.6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yW8EObXV8

The biggest things you can do are

Basic mods(CAI and Catback w/ headers)
Cylender-heads w/ mild cam
Stroker kit or stroked short block
Supercharger.
Electric fan conversion

Zerodevil, I still think you need to raise your shift points to get the most out of your setup. I can see your 315HP at the crank and your wheel HP being closer to 220-240. The mods that you feel didn't make much of a difference, will go nicely with the built block you get later.

tune was done after, will full bolt ons...i am less than impressed with my get up power...im planning on doing an MMR 5.3L short block, patriot stage 3 heads, crower cams, and a couple years down the road...a blower...IMO, just skip the bolt on bull crap and go ahead and start modding the motor.

Cat's gave me next to no improvement.

Im currently running

GMS 60,000 volt coils
Professional products manifold
GMS Shark intake plenum
BBK 75mm throttle body
JBA headers
Cat back exhaust
Hi-flowing cats all down the pipe.
K&N intake
Steeda underdrive pullys
Tune via Henson performance.
GMS Big mas.

with all of this...i am lucky to be breaking 315 hp...and im already out a couple of thousand dollars...and im not satisfied.

Here is what my performance looks like..i did this just after installing the Steeda pullys. keep in mind im 4x4 with the 4.6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yW8EObXV8

The biggest things you can do are

Basic mods(CAI and Catback w/ headers)
Cylender-heads w/ mild cam
Stroker kit or stroked short block
Supercharger.
Electric fan conversion

You should've just spend the extra $400-$500 and had kooks make you a custom set of longtubes... And the hi-flow cats are the biggest waste of $$$ unless you need new cats; damn marketing.

Damn I need a tune... your truck shifts SOO much nicer than mine :(.

Zerodevil, I still think you need to raise your shift points to get the most out of your setup. I can see your 315HP at the crank and your wheel HP being closer to 220-240. The mods that you feel didn't make much of a difference, will go nicely with the built block you get later.

I agree... Your shift command points need to be raised 300-500rpms, would give u a bit more from each gear.

I know that i will see a lot more from my built motor from the bolt ons, but for the moment, i feel the cost wasnt worth the HP/TQ increase...im recomending full blown motor changes for performance gains...im asking james about the shift points and will let you guys know.

I know that i will see a lot more from my built motor from the bolt ons, but for the moment, i feel the cost wasnt worth the HP/TQ increase...im recomending full blown motor changes for performance gains...im asking james about the shift points and will let you guys know.

Just remember, shift commands occur ~400rpm before the trans actually shifts.

is that somthin i can do with my tuner?

I have only used an edge programmer on a 6.0 superduty. It was setup so that you could choose 3 programs for power, or use an advanced program to change shift points, top speed, shift firmness, tire size and something other little things. I haven't used an SCT3 but I am hoping that you have the option of selecting where you wanted it to shift. I guess you need to hook it up and play around or wait to hear back from James.

I suppose I'll keep it simple then and skip the cats and manifold. Maybe go with a less expensive replacement coil like Accel or the GMS base coils (if I even decide to).

Probably go with the underdrive pulley from ASP and an electric fan as these mods are not very expensive...

Thanks for the help guys...

dont skimp on the pulleys what ever you do...or you will be throwing OBD2 codes like crazy...the only pulleys worth buying for the 4.6 is steeda. they may cost a little more..but its worth it...trust me...i ran a set of knock off pulleys for awhile...not fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont skimp on the pulleys what ever you do...or you will be throwing OBD2 codes like crazy...the only pulleys worth buying for the 4.6 is steeda. they may cost a little more..but its worth it...trust me...i ran a set of knock off pulleys for awhile...not fun.

zero--was that part number for the Steeda UDP 701-0001? If you remember...

Back