Mustang rims - yes? no? offset? spacer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang rims - yes? no? offset? spacer?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Ive searched on here to see that mustang cobra wheels will fit on an explorer... but haven't found an answer about the offset. Is it the same? Is a spacer needed? Are mustang rims not recommended for an explorer for strength issues? Here is what I'm looking at...

3n53kf3mdZZZZZZZZZ937ac59c30e6f9d1b8e.jpg

3mb3p93o9ZZZZZZZZZ9337721fd4087ab1eb6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2005-up Mustang rims will fit on 2002-up Explorers. Bolt circle and backspace are the same, except GT500 rears.

What is your setup going to be? Street or off-road? The 1st pic are 16" V6 pony wheels and the second pic is standard 17" GT wheels. If going for the street I would get a minimum of 18's and for off-road whatever size you want.

What is your setup going to be? Street or off-road? The 1st pic are 16" V6 pony wheels and the second pic is standard 17" GT wheels. If going for the street I would get a minimum of 18's and for off-road whatever size you want.

The explorer is 4WD, but it never sees any dirt here in Orlando.
So I'll keep looking for a nice wheel. Just trying to keep options open really and knowing what fits.

i have 03 svt rims on my 02 ex....with dunlop sp sport 5000 tires 275/55/17...this is the widest i could go...the space between my tire and rim to the control panel is the width of my pinky...

The Cobra rims are built for speeds of ATLEAST 140mph.....so im guessing they could deal with the extra weight no problem.

If you were throwing v6 mustang rims.....THEN I'd be like "ehhh.....nooo"
LOL

i have 03 svt rims on my 02 ex....with dunlop sp sport 5000 tires 275/55/17...this is the widest i could go...the space between my tire and rim to the control panel is the width of my pinky...

would love to see a picture :D

My dad has a 06 V6 Pony Package with the 17" GT rims. Looks AWESOME on the Ex. Switched em out for like an hour the other night but didnt get any pictures =/ but they do look really really good!

I just had them painted black...when I get them mounted ill post some pics
Posted via Mobile Device

I just had them painted black...when I get them mounted ill post some pics
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool... would love to see them.

heres a pic of one of the rims..not that great but i just wanted to show you guys how they came out.. i have no time to mount the tires so it might take a while for better pics

Attachments

• IMG00020.jpg
    IMG00020.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,134

heres a pic of one of the rims..not that great but i just wanted to show you guys how they came out.. i have no time to mount the tires so it might take a while for better pics

I think that looks great:thumbsup:

theres two different offsets for mustang rims. +24 and a +44(somewhere in the 40's)

the +24 work fine its been done a bunch. the newer mustangs with the higher offset most likly will not. I have a post below about 17x9's and there correct I have no balljoint space.

i figured ill post some pics of my ex with the svt rims in this thread also...

Attachments

• DSC06860.JPG
    DSC06860.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 3,458
  • DSC06862.JPG
    DSC06862.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 2,306
  • DSC06863.JPG
    DSC06863.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 4,878
  • DSC06864.JPG
    DSC06864.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 3,032

!BRCfGwQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLly8E)BJ76o!QNHw~~_1.jpg

I'm gonna get a set of these for the wife exp

Sweet... I ALMOST went with those myself. Make sure to post pics when you get them! Have fun

I kinda have a thing for the Cobra R wheels, before the wife got them I had to have them. This is them on my Mark VIII. I had to convert the hubs to accept the mustang/explorer 5x4.5 pattern since mine was 5x4.25 and no one had those wheels in that pattern anymore
markwheels.jpg

Hers is next

I kinda have a thing for the Cobra R wheels, before the wife got them I had to have them. This is them on my Mark VIII. I had to convert the hubs to accept the mustang/explorer 5x4.5 pattern since mine was 5x4.25 and no one had those wheels in that pattern anymore
markwheels.jpg

Hers is next

Sweet :thumbsup:

Back