• Register Today It's free!

TransferCase Temp Guage?

L4CX

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I've been planning on wiring up my Tranny Guage up to a Switch to Toggle between the Pan temp and the Line temp and was wondering if anybody has ever put a Sensor in the TCase?
Would it be worth it?
If I did this, What would the Exceptable Tolerances be?
If I just hooked up my Tranny Temp Guage to the pan Sensor I'd have an Extra Sensor that I could put in the Drain Plug on the Tcase and then Switch between TCase and Tranny. I'm not sure if this would be Helpfull or not. Anybody have any Thoughts?

Also, I did search and Didn't find anything really.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I've heard of anyone checking the temp on the transfer case. Its not like there are clutches etc to make heat (I'm thinking 1354). It seems like it would be like adding a temp sensor to the rear diff. Unless your doing lots of heavy towing I don't think it would be worth it.. and even marginal then too.

~Mark

The fluid in the transfer case isnt being pumped at high pressure - only to move it from one place to another for lubircation so temps arent that high. And its gears are mostly straight cuts (although I think the planetary does have some helical)

But what good would knowing the transfer case temp do for you? You could add a heat exchanger with a pump but that would take a lot of effort.

The fluid in the transfer case isnt being pumped at high pressure - only to move it from one place to another for lubircation so temps arent that high. And its gears are mostly straight cuts (although I think the planetary does have some helical)

But what good would knowing the transfer case temp do for you? You could add a heat exchanger with a pump but that would take a lot of effort.

Yeah, I guess I could see both of your Guys points. I was just curious and you both did an excellent job at Answering my questions. Thank you.

Back