034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was referrng to the school work. cool stuff. i'll see you around if you make to the dothan shop.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ahhhh!!!!!!!! Jealous. I bet you have some mean plans for the ranger???

Ahhhh!!!!!!!! Jealous. I bet you have some mean plans for the ranger???

I can only imagine, it will probably be on DD duty for a while, then it will probably no longer be a ranger

Looks like some killer projects you're working on there...do they take on outside projects for you guys to work on or how does that work?

Looks like some killer projects you're working on there...do they take on outside projects for you guys to work on or how does that work?

Yes and no. Currently we are building a pro-lite CORR truck, but we won't do cages and stuff just for anyone.

Wow!!!! thats all i can say, nice job. You need to come up to IL to help me with my SAS. I don't have a welder, so my local 4x4 shop wanted around 1500-2000 dollars to Fab,install axle and mount steering box. I think i will pass on that offer, can do it for alot cheaper!

He works for BTF now so I doubt his "labor" is any cheaper. But I can tell you that if you take it down to AL they will do top notch work.

The name of the game is TIME and MONEY!

You might have done a little more than tear it down lol

Drew up the truss in solidworks.

truss.jpg

truss2.jpg

Cutting out truss parts and plates to box in the frame.

PIC-0240.jpg

PIC-0241.jpg

PIC-0242.jpg

frame boxed in

PIC-0243.jpg

PIC-0244.jpg

PIC-0245.jpg

sat the truss on the axle to see how it looks. Haven't started welding it yet.

PIC-0246.jpg

PIC-0247.jpg

wow! tha looks like a fun place to work.

Took a few steps backwards.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

All of the stock drivetrain (3.0, 5r44e, elec 1354) is for sale. Including all wiring/pcm/accessories.

Gotta make room for a new powerplant.

So whats the drivetrain plans?

Oh holy crap!! So thats where I left my CNC table - I've been looking for it for a few days now. I'll stop by next weekend to pick it up :p:

351w? :d

naah he's one of those guys that runs the latest best thing I bet he goes
LS-1??2??????

Back