HELP! “Service Engine Soon” AFTER Exhaust Mods! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! “Service Engine Soon” AFTER Exhaust Mods!

Michigun

Reaction score
City, State
Chesaning, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
Ok guys, I’ve searched all over the Internet but can’t find anything on this.

I recently had all 3 catalytic converters on my 02 FORD Explorer removed & a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler installed… heard that I may get a “service engine soon” light after this mod, but that didn’t happen until yesterday after driving it around for a few days.

Plan on having my local FORD dealer read the code(s) for me, but I’m thinking that my new exhaust is to blame.

I’ve heard that there is a plug in deal, that I can buy, that will pretty much lie to my sensor(s) so the “service engine soon” light will go off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its because you lost o2 sensors when you dropped the cats.

Look up O2 sensor emulators online and that should fix your problem.

Are those O2 sensors unplugged or tied up but plugged in (the sensor is exposed to the atmosphere, and is not in the exhaust system)?

All 4 (2 per side) of the 02 sensors were left in their original locations, in the pipes & were not disturbed... yup, they're plugged in still!

Look up O2 sensor emulators online and that should fix your problem.

Is the only thing that the "02 sensor emulators" do is to get rid of the codes? I.e., is there any performance reason to make the codes 'go away' by getting the "02 sensor emulators"?

FYI, I do believe that I would like to get rid of the codes (& turn off the “service engine soon” light) either way instead of just putting a piece of tape over the "idiot light"... just because those "idiot lights" have been useful in the past, ya know?

Thanks for any help guys!

I've searched for "02 sensor emulators" (Thanks Xenowolf!) & there are a lot of them out there... what do I need? I see the ones that plug into the exhaust pipes themselfs & then I see some "boxes" that mount under the hood?

quick question
you think you could post a clip of what it sounds like ...im looking into exhaust for my v6

Umm.. have the codes reset then have the computer on the truck re-learn your driving & stuff.. It may have just occurred cause of the difference in pressures in the exhaust after the new kit.

Umm.. have the codes reset then have the computer on the truck re-learn your driving & stuff.. It may have just occurred cause of the difference in pressures in the exhaust after the new kit.

After I brought my truck home the day (I actually drove it around for over 100 miles along with shutting it off & turning it back on a few times as I ran my errands..) I had all of the exhaust work done (also changed the fuel filter @ the same time) I re-set the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few hours.

Like I mentioned before, my “service engine soon” light did not come on for 4 days & right around 200 miles after the exhaust work.

I'm going to take it up to my local muffler shop at lunch tomorrow & they're going to read & then re-set my codes for me... I also have a bad door sensor somewhere & hoping it'll give me some info on that as well...

quick question
you think you could post a clip of what it sounds like ...im looking into exhaust for my v6

Once I get all of this figured out I can do that for ya for sure... it's pretty loud! (A bit louder then what I wanted... was going for performance over sound, but knew I'd get some sound out of the deal... I don't care for the "attention" if ya know what I mean! :D)

FYI, all I had done was to have all 3 cats removed, a strait section of OEM DIA pipe welded in each void & a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler installed... I left everything else alone... no bigger piping or fancy exhaust tips.

FYI, I have also been looking at this thing on eBay... the guy claims that it'll solve my problem via a few e-mails back & forth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80340802687&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Can you guys shed some light on it for me?

I wouldnt mess with that thing...it looks like he made it in his basement...
This is a known issue when you remove your Cat's...Do a search on www.corral.net and you will see a bunch of mustang people using these eliminators all the time. I think they refer to them as MIL eliminators, and summit racing sells them.
www.summitracing.com

Hope that helps

I wouldnt mess with that thing...it looks like he made it in his basement...
This is a known issue when you remove your Cat's...Do a search on www.corral.net and you will see a bunch of mustang people using these eliminators all the time. I think they refer to them as MIL eliminators, and summit racing sells them.
www.summitracing.com

Hope that helps

Thanks, I'll search on www.corral.net!

I searched ALL OVER www.summitracing.com but can not find ANYTHING for sale like that on their www site...

Or you could get a tune and have them turned off in that. This would give better benefits than have removed the cats,especially if they werent clogged.-j

FYI, I put real close to 400 miles on my Explorer, sense last Thursday after the DIY 02 sensor fix, & as of this morning still no “service engine soon” light!

Or you could get a tune and have them turned off in that. This would give better benefits than have removed the cats,especially if they werent clogged.-j

The 3rd large cat was falling apart... my 02 Explorer has lived in Michigan its whole life… the 2 small up front cats where not clogged/plugged yet, but in rough shape… 1 had a small hole started as well.

Back