• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer Head Unit Install

jacksonp1208

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I recently purchased a 1993 Explorer 4x4 4 door 4.0L V6. Only problem is it's got no head unit and I would like to install one except I don't know how and I am not paying someone $100 to do it for me. Somebody please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I need help with the installation. I already have an idea of where im buying a new one.

welcome

It is pretty straight forward. Get you wire harness and after market radio. The wires are color coded so all you do is match them up and insulate them well. Take the cage to the radio and install it. There are small tabs that you bend to hold it in place. The plug the radio up, slide back into the cage/dash and check to see if you have power.

hey i have a problem with my new cd player on my 93. i got it from a guy and he had already had a crapy one in and i dont know what the wires r i got the speakers right but im not sure if there is a remote wire or not

OK, so I bought the new stereo but problem is, the wires do not match up at all. I have about 12 wires and a plug that won't fit the new stereo. The stereo has two plugs, one plug input (does not match the ford), and a spot for two speakers!

Back