• Register Today It's free!

Hello from the newbie, need help

jbeamon

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi everyone. My name is John. I worked as a mechanic on and off for about 12 years. I must say I am glad to find this forum. My first car when I was 18 was an old '73 Ford Mustang notchback. I just bought my first SUV, a '97 Ford Explorer, installed an HD Radio/MP3 cd reciever and a remote start alarm. Owned the explorer for 2 months now and starting to have issues. The battery light was starting to come on intermittently. When I start the engine when cold the light comes on but will go out once the engine is at operating temperature. This has been happening for a couple of days. Now it just stays on. I checked the voltage while running and I get about 13.0 to 14.0 V. When the light is on, I am getting 13.0V. Had the alternator tested and I was told that the alternator was fine. So what's with the battery light? Could it be a diode in the alternator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome john

I know this may sound strange, but I had an alternator that would charge top notch until it got warm. It sounds like yours may be doing the same thing.

Thanks for the advice

Cleaned the battery terminals then had the alternator checked again to find that there was no current. So I am replacing the alternator.

Back