Brandons 97 XL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brandons 97 XL

So I stumbled into another Explorer, this ones a 97 XL.

Info
- 4.0L OHV
- 5 Speed Automatic
- 3.73 gearing
- Bridgestone Dueler tires
- 4x4
- Aux Trans filter and cooler
- Added leafs to the rear springs

List of stuff to do
- Change plug wires
- New spark plugs
- Touch up paint
- Check out front right bearing
- Get an Amsoil or K&N filter
- U-joints

Bought it off a co-worker for $200.

DSCF1307.jpg

Ill try to remember to update this one..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still have the 94 on the road :). Still working on getting the 95 on the road (some issues changing the ownership over since i didn't get a receipt for it..).

This one is leaking coolant down the side of the engine, so I'm afraid it may be a cracked block but ill be digging into it when its warm.

K, ill keep on the look out for one. So far i can visibly see were the leak is coming from, however im only 70% sure of it.. waiting for the snow to stop and the warmer temperature to go back out and tackle it, partly because I dont plan to waste rad fluid testing it :)

auto or 5 speed? I picked up a 96 xl last year with only one option: 4x4, seems to be a special order one with nothing else at all. Glad to see another xl.

5 speed auto :). As for 4x4 it acts like AWD which was apparently unavailable on the XL.

welcome and nice x u got there

After around 10-12 hours of work on it, its on the road again!

Coolant leak was the result of a blown lower intake gasket. Had to also replace the ebrake pads and disk rotors at the back (to safety it, which is friday).

The parents want to tow their 5000LB trailer with it may 15th, i voiced my fears and told them there paying for the transmission next time it goes, and they were fine with it. However I'm going to prepare it nonetheless.

Plan is to beef up the rear springs (have a few spare leafs) and add a transmission cooler and filter. Either way its better they strand the explorer i bought for them to use, then the one i drive daily.

And the lineup so far :) (there all a little dirty from driving around the farm)
DSCF1336.jpg

Ok found the 3rd brake light was toast and then discovered it was neon.. after some research and being out of bright-ish LEDs, I grabbed a few of those dash light clips and lights, and wired them up.

also added a wire (to the outside of the truck) to open the locks since i havent fixed them yet, at least if i accidently lock it i can get back in :)

Got an aux trans filter and cooler, and installed it, it was a ***** to figure out were to put it, make brackets, etc etc...

DSCF1390.jpg

But all done! The cooler is good for 24,000 lbs, not that it will ever see that, but this weekend it will have to tow 5000lbs (not including people, camping stuff, etc), so im trying to get it as prepared as possible. I will be doing u-joints when its back.. might as well let the biggest wear go on them now.

Also previously added 2 extra leafs to each side. It was sagging to much for my likings, brought it up just perfect.

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

Added a K&N air filter using a custom made adapter on the MAFS. Still running well as far as I can tell (never get to drive it..). Power steering was acting up but is now ok.

Came home tonight to an issue while turning. Seems to bind / shudder while turning, put it in 4x4 while turning at idle, and its enough to stop the truck.

Checked the transfer case fluid, was not up to the filler and the residue was beige. Drained it and to my surprise it was purely light brown, completely milky. Will be putting in new fluid tomorrow and see if that helps it, but I am thinking the damage is done.

Changed the transfer case fluid and the problem is still there. Checked the front right CV shaft, appears to have some play (about 1/8") at the joint at the spindle.

Not sure if its enough to cause issues...? I never drive this one, so I cant tell if there was noise before it really started to act up.

Back