• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum lines

dae06

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
ranger-1991 and 1995
Can anyone explain what these vacuum lines do? I see 3 vacuum lines and am not sure what they are connected to or what they do.

This is the globe. The lower line goes into the cab I believe and the upper goes to the fuel regulator?:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2390904210035451125vQExln

I believe this is the fuel regulator with the vacumm line connected at the bottom.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2734283400035451125FEGHIf

This I don't know what the vacuum line is connected to.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2938395000035451125tIKaCJ

All lines look good and the connection to the firewall to the inside of the cab behind the glove compartment look good, but no vacuum? Where is the vacuum created?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pictures aren't working.

Sorry, try them now.

But I have a new found question. I found 2 loose vacuum lines just laying there creating suction, but I don't know where they go.

They are coming from the intake. There is one that is connected to the tree(?) (it has a molded rubber 90 degree end that has 2 holes). Then coming out off the same connection from the intake are 2 seperate (RED) lines wraped together that I can't see where they go.

I think this will solve my "defrost only" problem if I can figure out where to hook them up.

Looks like you are missing parts there! there should be a line coming from the manifold to a tee next to the regulator then down to your globe. without the line from the manifold nothing will work. It shouldcome from the driver side and wrap around the back of the engine nesting in between the valve cover and fuel rail. hope this helps

I must say to be very carefull with the Vaccume lines. They break really easy. I just finished my Head Gaskets and Snapped off two or three yesturday. Luckilly my friend had some tubing that I slid over top of it and then Electrical taped.

Anywho, The Tee that you showed in the last picture looked like the one that goes to the Fuel Regulator and Globe. That means it would be on the wrong side of the engine. There is a Green one (On my 96 OHV XLT) that goes to the EGR valve and then a Yellow one that goes to somewere under the battery/ABS unit area. There are Two Lines that go into the Vaccume Regulator. The REd line goes to were the system plugs into the Intake. The Green one goes to the EGR Valve. The Yellow line also slpits from the line that goes to the Fuel Regulator and Globe. HEre's a Pic.
Vaccumeline.jpg

That is how I understand the Vaccume lines are to be hooked up. Keep in mind that my truck is a 96 XLT. There is always the chance something could be different with your engine. If anybody sees a problem with this pic let me know. HOpe this helps.

Edit: Sorry I just took another look at the Picture of the Tee and noticed that it was from the Passenger side of the engine. Looks good.

Thanks for the diagram. Much easier to read. There is something messed up with my configuration. I already have connections to the globe and the fuel regulator. I may just "Tee" the line that goes to the globe and hook it to one of my two that are disconnected. That way I will at least have a vacuum. I still don't know what to do with the second one. Maybe I'll plug it and see if things work.

Do you know if they sell a vacuum line kit for these trucks. Someone must have messed with the truck previous to me buying it (bought it yesterday). I may need to start all over and get this right.

Thanks

L4CX,

You don't happen to have any pictures of your engine compartment that may give me an idea of what's messed up? :(

Nice diagram! I'm going off a 96 as well.

yes you can find vacuum kits at your local auto parts store.

In my experience most components can only fit in just about one place when they are in place.

I have also found it is best to take pics before moving or disconnecting anything.

I don't always practice it and I usually pay for it later.;)

just FYI.

I have a pic of engine after its pulled but it only shows the drivers side.

Picture416.jpg

I bought this truck yesterday, knowing it had a vacuum problem. I wasn't too concerned.

Last night, looking at the defroster only problem, I found these two lines tucked along the firewall on the drivers side and running over to the fender. They were purposefully put there. I don't understand why though.

It's a head scratcher ;)

The truck has basically three things wrong with it:

1. The above mentioned vacuum issue

2. It only blows hot air- 95% sure it's a blend door issue

3. Needs intake manifold gaskets.

Other than that she runs like a champ.

Here's the other side.

This vacuum line looks just like the one you are holding in your hand.

vacuum.jpg

If there are lines already connected to the globe and regulator, Where do they go from there?

I would make sure they arn't dangling somewhere.

Edit;

Yes I misspelled pressure in the pic:D

From the globe, the lower line goes into the cab I believe and the upper goes to the fuel regulator?:

I bought this truck yesterday, knowing it had a vacuum problem. I wasn't too concerned.

Last night, looking at the defroster only problem, I found these two lines tucked along the firewall on the drivers side and running over to the fender. They were purposefully put there. I don't understand why though.

It's a head scratcher ;)

The truck has basically three things wrong with it:

1. The above mentioned vacuum issue

2. It only blows hot air- 95% sure it's a blend door issue

3. Needs intake manifold gaskets.

Other than that she runs like a champ.

I just went and took alook. I saw the Yellow wire which goes down bellow the Battery to another Module of some sort. There's just one LIne though. That module is hooked up to the Throttle body and a Fuel line. (It looks like a Fuel line and is in the Loom of lines that goes to the back of the truck.) I don't see anything else though.
Most of (if not all of) the HVAC stuff will be on the passenger side. From what you've described it sounds like that little Vaccume Actuator (I think that's what it's called) that is hooked up to Coolant lines isn't working. That controls how much coolant goes into the Heater core. (I think) If that's wide open, then you're going to get heat.

From the globe, he lower line goes into the cab I believe and the upper goes to the fuel regulator?:

The Upper goes to the line that the Fuel regulator is Attached too. The Lower, I have no idea. I haven't taken that part of my truck apart and couldn't see were it went when I took a look at it a couple minutes ago. It goes towards the Cab though. Somwere in there the Vaccume actuator has to be hooked up.

Thanks for the pictures.

In the pictures and some of the threads I see a yellow vacuum line. I do not have a yellow one. Mine are either red or black. I think the black one was added by a previous owner.

Thanks for everyones help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's Possible that it could be some option that You don't have. Or something like that.

It certainly could be, but I still want to see another 1997 engine compartment.

Someone definately did something with the vacuum system.

I bought a "tee" and hooked to one of the lines and I now have control over my floor, vent and defrost. :thumbsup:

Next I need to deal with the blend door issue. I currently have heat only except for Max AC. I think I will order a blend door and do the blend door replacement fix.

Again, thanks for everyones help. :)

Back