How to: Homelink Visor Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Homelink Visor Install

hey can i just bought a set and well i have 98 and it douse not have a hook up like one that is on the visor WHAT do i do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the wrecking yard and get the matching pig tail (if u don't have it already)
and run a power and ground wire the a-post and out the hole and connect it up and your golden.

What year do these home link visors come on. I have a 00 Mounty, and would love to have this feature.

could you put one of these in a 96? i know it wasn't an option in 96 but would it be possible?

Yes they will work on any Explorer that the visor will swap with, the wires are a power and ground. The single wire of older trucks is the dome light power wire, those ground to the roof somewhere. You can add a ground wire for the home link visor without the special connector. Run a ground wire to some screw after you get the wire down the "A" pillar. You could use any two wire connector, buy it from a parts store if you need to. I used my old 93 roof wiring for my visors because they are 93 visors. You can wire things up many ways.

Wow, that's cool! If you only paid 30 bucks for it then I think it's worth it in just the Cost. I went to Home depot and it was like 30 + for a Universal Garage Door opener. That was just the base model too.
If I had a Garage I'd probably look into getting this. The time I'd use it is those Saturday morning Field trips when I have to get into the Bus garage. The only problem is that I usually put the Opener in the bus for when I get back. I still may look into doing this just to have it on there when I get a house. Thanks alot.

Sooo,
I was wanting to do the explorer dual visor with flip mirror mod in my ranger and found a set of these.
Is there anyone that could tell me how to operate the damn memo thing. That's mainly all I want them for now (seeing how I don't have a garage yet and why upgrade twice).

I have them on the bench attached to a 2amp 12v source and the vanity mirror lights up but no memo. REALLY would love for that to work because I'm a rather forgetful person also, it would just plain be cool.

Try homelink.com they used to have manuals posted... They should still be there.

Should just be a matter of pushing record to record yourself and play to play. Homelink won't have instructions for the memo function, it's a Ford addition.

When you push any of the buttons do you get a signal light?

No, no signal light. Don't want to rewrap these in material then install them just to fail and have a useless gadget there lol.

Maybe I will try wiring up in the truck quick without installing to see if it makes a difference. Probably not but, meh.

You should be getting a light if the unit has power and is functioning.

It's a simple install- either you have the double pigtail that is a direct fit, or you have a green power that you hook in place of/to your visor wire and hook the black to a body ground.

You can always put it in the headliner like I did with mine...

DSCF4176.jpg

That install is pretty cool

It's a simple install- either you have the double pigtail that is a direct fit, or you have a green power that you hook in place of/to your visor wire and hook the black to a body ground.

You can always put it in the headliner like I did with mine...

DSCF4176.jpg

I installed mine in the side of the overhead console and used it that way... Then I bought a rearview mirror with homelink so I had 2 homelink setups...

Even if the homelink is not programmed, if you have power to the unit the led will light when you press any of the buttons.. I would check to make sure there is +12v and ground leads to the visor... Oh and see if the key needs to be on...I wired my first one that way and forgot the first time I tried to get out of my garage...

That's why I haven't got around to doing mine yet. We've got a Chamberlain setup and I think it's one of those secured ones. In a nutshell, what's the trick? I've got the instructions somewhere but want to hear from someone who's done it before.

Clear the current codes(forget how to do that).

Take your factory remote, place it up against the the Homelink controller.

Push the button on the factory remote and the desired button on the Homelink controller.

Push the connect button on the drive motor and then push the desired button on the Homelink controller.

Jeez Celly- you've been sitting outside your garage for 3-1/2 years?!?!

:D

Great write up, been wanting to do this for awhile now. So are the other 2 side black buttons for the programming?

Back