Emergency Strobe LED Installation. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Strobe LED Installation.

Okay this is my first writeup, so i'll try to do it the best I can.
Mind you, I am writting this with a very VERY intense hangover and headache
so excuse me if I seem somewhat blank about the instructions :thumbsup:

Pretty much, the only reason I decided to install these because, I really had nothing better to do on a saturday afternoon, it was cheap, and fun.
I would like to note that these are highly illegal if used inappropriately (imitating an emergency vehicle) and you can probably get your ass busted for it. Netherless, if used responsibly, they can be fun and look sweet.

okay, so the best bet is to look for these bad boys on ebay.
because you can pretty much find anything on ebay.
and seeing as how everything on ebay comes from hongkong.
everything is very cheap.

I purchased my set (2x 24LED strobes) for AU$1 and then like AU$15 for postage from here :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220377693232&category=33713
Heres a Video of what they are by themselves.

I do recommend this seller, as they have a online help service thing via MSN Messenger,
and they were really helpful. That and the stuffs cheap, and have a large variety.

ViewImage.aspx
ViewImage.aspx

These lights generally come with more then one light pattern, each pattern has there own power input, so to change the pattern you need to have 2 seperate power sources to it,
which I couldnt be bothered to do, and seemed pointless to me, so I didnt bother with the second.

I chose the pattern which flashes 3 times alternating between both lights,
looks better then them both just flashing at the same time.

First thing you want to do is decide where you want to mount the lights,
preferably somewhere practical so that the lights can be seen, but are not too obvious. I was considering putting them behind the billet grill,
but you might have still seen them behind the grill, which may wreck the look you were going for, so i decided to put them on each side of the numberplate
IMG_6137-1.jpg

DSC03799.jpg

This was perfect, theres a little shelf almost where you can mount the lights to (screw or strong double sided tape stuff will work)

Once you've decided where you want to mount them, next thing you need is power.
Seeing as I have an Australian model, the engine bay may or may not be much different to mine, obviously A lot will be different in regards to drivers side etc. but you should still be able to follow the main concept im trying to achieve.

First thing you need to do is find the grommet thing that you can drill through to get to the inside cabin.
(all depends on where you want your switch on the console)
I found the best spot to get through was a rubber thing near the brake cable
I just drilled through this, as it was easier then drilling through the firewall itself
DSC03795.jpg

After you've done this you can run your wires directly from the battery positive through your engine bay to whatever way suites your engine layout best.
This is how I ran mine.

1) Wire from the battery positive
2) through the top of the bonnet hinge
3) back through the top of the other bonnet hinge and back down
4) down to the hole I made in the firewall to the drivers console.
DSC03797.jpg

Better pictures if you need them
1&2 then 3&4
IMG_6142.jpg
DSC03796.jpg

I HIGHLY advise you to pass through as many wires you may need in future projects, as to pass them through again with wires already going through the grommet is a real bi*ch to do.
DSC03789.jpg

You will need to run at least one wire from the battery into the console to the switch
and then one back into the engine bay.
again, it's usually advised to run resistors and fuses and all the rest of it.
But i accidently blew the one i had while setting this up
so I didnt bother with it.
It still works fine, and lets face it.
LED's are hardly high voltage lights that will blow.

after getting the wire into the drivers console area, I ran it under the center console
DSC03791.jpg

then up to the switch
DSC03793.jpg

(the second switch is for my underbody LED's)

one thing I always try to do is mark the positive in and out differently so I know which is which and dont spend
half an hour playing with dead wires, So put some red tape or something over the positive to remind you which is which later on :)

With the wire that leads back into the engine bay, simply navigate it to the lights. one thing that i found while doing this, was that you can never have enough zipties. those little things are angels while wiring the engine bay.

the best route I found to the front was just down the side of the bay, to behind the headlight, and then simply down into where you need it.
any path will do, makes no difference.

Simply Connect wires from the little black box thing
(no idea wtf it is, but its where all the wires pass through then to the lights)
DSC03802-1.jpg

Ground the Negative wire (black) to any unpainted metal surface down there
(theres lots of room to ground it to anywhere)

an vwella!

i hope I didnt lose anyone along the way
If I did, or if you have any questions, just ask
I get emailed to my blackberry as soon I get replies, so I'll know straight away and will reply as soon as possible :)

good luck!
x

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The finished product

sorry its on its side -_-'

they look good and i like all of the detail. they would be nice to use at a show or a car meet other than that the cops will hunt you down for using them on the street.

yeah, only really got them for ***** and giggles.
they cant defect them unless I'm they're turned on, on the road.
otherwise they just look like fog lights or something. so it should be sweet

Cool Lights. I want to get some Amber ones like that for my truck. Amber (Orange) ones would be less chance of getting in trouble with cops and could probably use them in emergency on the side of the road. Still cool though.

thinking i might get some single wired LED's (some nice blue ones :D), splice them into the circuit already strobing to the lights i have at the moment. and then put those around the grill.

this shouldddd, give the same lighting effect in the grill.
but just wont exactly project the light as far as these ones I have now.

I saw on some guys video, all he did was drilled a hole into the back of his headlights put a led strobe in there, and then because of the reflector made the lights look insane bright.

anyway, the blue LED's are in the mail on the way, so we shall see what it looks like soon enough :)

tylerjames,

That's one heck of a write up. Maybe I could hire you to do some write ups for me. :D

I would love to get some write ups like this on my website. I just don't have the time to do so. With all of the lights I have available, this kind of effort would be a big benefit for me and my customers.

Oh, and for all of the members here, if you'd like to get some LED lights for your ride, shoot me a note and I'll send you a 5% off coupon you can use online at my website.

-Michael

I also get name brand products (Whelen/Federal Signal/Axixtech/SVP) at wholesale. If anyone needs lights, I can pretty much beat any other competitors prices out there.

-m

Not to make this into a contest, while we offer some of the lowest prices on these products, the service that my company offers after the sale is where we stand apart from the folks who "do this in their spare time" as well as the rest of the competition. If you find a lower price on something we sell, let me know, there's a good chance we'll meet or beat it.

-Michael

Just to clarify, I actually work at the parts counter for the largest Fleet dealership on the east coast.

tylerjames,

That's one heck of a write up. Maybe I could hire you to do some write ups for me. :D

I would love to get some write ups like this on my website. I just don't have the time to do so. With all of the I have available, this kind of effort would be a big benefit for me and my customers.

Oh, and for all of the members here, if you'd like to get some LED lights for your ride, shoot me a note and I'll send you a 5% off coupon you can use online at my website.

-Michael

ahah, sure thing.
send me some lights, I'll install them and do detailed write-ups for you in return ;)

mind you, I do live in australia.
So, postage may be a bit*h, and everything will look back to front to you guys lol

Back