• Register Today It's free!

Slow cranking

bubba_1952

Reaction score
City, State
Albany,GA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have a 92 XLT with the 4.0 and it takes several seconds of turning over and over before it finally cranks. I have changed the fuel filter and had an injector cleaning but it did not help. This helped the overall running but not the cranking. I can turn the ignition on and off for 4-5 times and then it will fire up also. Any ideas from anyone? By the way, my check engine light burns all the time and the fumes will burn your eyes if you have the windows down. Thanks for any ideas as this is a hard time to just take in for a checkup with cost as high as they are.

Thanks, bubba_1952

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect your battery for a minute or so. Then try it. If it gives you the same results, (without the CEL on) then move on to a fuel priming issue.

Wow... welcome to the site!

Check the codes. That light is on for a reason. Do a search, you can pull codes yourself with a paperclip if you don't want to buy a reader.

Mike

My first guess would be a fuel pressure regulator problem or something similar. It "sounds" like you are losing fuel pressure when sitting. when you turn the key on/off/on/off etc and then start the truck you have brought the pressure up first.

If the Fuel pressure regulator has ruptured then you will lose pressure and put lots of extra fuel into the engine and the CEL will most likely turn on since it can't get the mixture lean enough..

Check the fuel pressure AND get the code.. that should at least help us get you pointed in the right direction.

~Mark

Thanks guys for all the replys. I will get the fuel regulator checked as soon as I can. I appreciate your answers. The truck runs great when it is cranked. Very smooth and great pickup. Just the starting is bad.

A good test to see if the fuel pump is bleeding down is to cycle the key 5-6 time without starting it, and then start it....

I tried the old turn the switch on and off for 4-5 times and it does seem to crank pretty much right away. It sounds like the pump is priming up because with each turn there is a slight difference in the sound the pump makes. I guess from some of the threads this may probably be a regulator problem. It sure is wierd because the truck runs great as long as it is running. The fumes are horrible if you have the window down at the redlight though.

You may have a partially ruptured fuel line at the tank, as well.

I had the EXACT same symptoms, took a lot of cranking unless I primed it a couple times, bad fuel smell. The fuel smell on mine lingered after it was shut off as well, since it was bleeding off the pressure. Turns out one of the little elbows on the fuel pump assembly had rusted through, leaking a small amount of fuel anytime there was pressure in the line. Went ahead and just replaced the whole assembly, partially so I wouldn't have to worry about it, and it's been fine ever since.

I would get your nose down by the top of the tank and see if the smell is any stronger. You can also stick your hand on top of the tank and feel around for the lines and any fuel leaks around them.

Back