'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" FINALLY DONE!

EDIT: Adding the details to the first post now that the project is finished.

OK, I finally got tired of trying to figure out this stupid 21" neon high-mount brake light problem, and in the process ended up with two lamp assemblies. So, after searching for the best fix, I finally decided to gut one of the assemblies, and build by own LED array to put inside it. Here is what I did ....

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Here is the assembly after being baked, and cleaned up, and the neon lamp removed, with some measurements shown:
explorer_third_brake_lamp.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be. Notice in the image above that the assembly is about 3/4" tall, but since the back of the housing is curved, the array needs to be thinner than that so that it can fit comfortably down inside, so the lens does not hit the LEDs.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

sooo i have a question. because i'll be using the baking technique on a buddy's brake lights.

what are you setting the light on for the oven? the bare metal? it's not melting the plastic?

I think I baked mine lens up, and did not melt anything. It's pretty low temperature. I might have put it on aluminum foil, but it was a LONG time ago, so I don't really remember.

sorry for my slow return, thanks for answering.

i was thinking the plastic would be hard enough / strong enough to withstand the temperature, i just wanted to make sure.

funny somtimes, we ask a question and completely forget about the thread till it just pops in our heads again, lol

Replacement of High mount LED's

Good luck. You will be pleased with your work when done.

Just FYI, before any of you go to the hassle of replacing your third brake light, check the fuse holder that is wrapped in padding. The fuse holder is on the wire that plugs into the ballast. After taking it apart and putting in my new led strip, i still couldnt get it to work and i know the new led strip worked because i tested it before i started my install. I have a feeling that the light wasnt bad in the first place and it was a little red 10 amp fuse :rolleyes: Maybe someone might have the same problem and it can be a really cheap fix. Goodluck.:thumbsup:

Well, mine worked after replacing the lamp, but I don't ever remember seeing any sort of fuse holder. Where is it?

I think they are about $120-$150 from Ford, when you can get them. I tried when mine died, and they were backordered for several months. I got one from a jy and it didn't work, so I sent it back. I could never quite figure out what I was looking for, but I was pretty sure I wasn't getting anything out of it. Would be great for someone to figure out how to test these things. Seems that there should be 100 volts or something coming out of the ballast.

I got the same thing PoolBank Got, excpet i got the waterproof version in "cool white" Heres my Pictures:

DSC09328.jpg

DSC09330.jpg

DSC09338.jpg

Here is the fuse i was talking about
DSC09333.jpg

DSC09336.jpg

here's my other project a LED ford Emblem i bought off ebay
DSC09342.jpg

Link removed. Norm if you wish to advertise your site, I'd suggest paying for a vendor fee. Your in direct violation of the FAQ regarding commericial endeavors.

Looks like someone is trying to profit off of a $13 LED strip and selling information from the posts in this thread :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I agree with your statement V8BoatBuilder,
That link above wants $51.40 Shipped, I paid $25 shipped and it looks the same and mine was more expensive than the basic type because i chose waterproof version.

I just had to do this last night... safety is today and i forgot all about the 3rd light. Used 4 of the smaller light bulbs mounted in the dash light screw in things and glued sideways into the 3rd brake light mount.
DSCF1347.jpg

I think im gonna go out in the garage, and see if I cant find that little 10 amp fuse they are talking about by the ballast...I took my ballast off, and checked to see if there was power going to it, sure enough there was, so would my fuse be bad? Hmmm.

I think i might try one of those red LED strips you can get at AutoZone, I know its not the most reasonable way to go, but hey it would give me a 3rd brake light lol

If there is power to the ballast and the fuse is before the ballast, then the fuse is good.

fuze at ballast?

CJExplorer - have you had that ex since new? Or did you buy it used? If used, wonder if that's someone's aftermarket handy work??

That's an interesting pic of the fuze before the ballast. My bro's '97 doesn't have a fuze (neither does my dad's) and I've never seen the fuze in the wiring diagrams in my repair manual. We changed bro's ballast and neon bulb out for a nice, simple strip of LEDs. Very nice fix. By the way, we used a paint stripping heat gun to separate the lens from the fixture.

Good luck folks!

OK, I found this nice looking third brake light on E-Bay last week and decided to try it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...907Q2em263QQcategoryZ33716QQitemZ310146721166 . Installed it today and what do ya know, works great. It installs with 3m tape and two screws on each side. I drilled two holes for the screws and a hole for the rubber grommet to feed the wire through on top of the roof. I took some sealant and placed some in the two holes where the screws go to make a water tight seal. I then hard-wired it into the OEM wiring and it looks great. I may still do the OEM high mount light with LEDs just for fun. If anyone is interested in this mod it's real easy and for $50 it's not expensive.

Back