Filling hole in K&N intake tube.

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
So I had the insanely expensive K&N FIPK on my 96 4.0, and now it has made it's way to my 2000 4.0. The issue is that for the 95/96 (maybe other years too) they had a seperate intake air temp sensor, so you have to drill a hole in the intake by the throttle body and put the sensor in. My new truck doesnt have this, so I'm left with a useless hole.

Any ideas? I thought about plastic epoxy but I worry about it breaking loose and my engine swallowing it... The hole is about 3/4 of an inch..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about popping a dummy sensor back in?

what about getting another sensor , they are cheap , like 10 $, and just pushing it in there to fill the hole,, i know it won't do anything, but , it was for that sensor anyways,
, get one at a junkyard,

Yea, putting in the sensor is my fallback plan, but I'd really like to just get rid of the hole...

I'm thinking that the tube is made of ABS plastic, because its black, and the way it behaved when cut and drilled reminded me of ABS as well. If it is in fact ABS, I may just use some acetone and extra ABS and fill the hole.

Post a pic of the hole. Ive had to plug up a few holes in mustang intakes so Ill show you what I came up with.

Btw- nice- fort riley? my dad used to be stationed there so I lived in wakefield, KS. Army?

when you delete a heater from a 5.0 they make a rubber plug to cover the outlet on the water pump.
you can find them in the "help section" of the auto parts stores
simple rubber grommet held on by a hose clamp.

ultra cheap

Whatever you do, dont ask SVO/Jeff what to stick in the hole

Well the acetone welding is a no-go. I figured it was worth a shot though.

I found a couple different plugs at the hardware store and autozone. I'll probable get the best fitting one, use a bit of silicone to seal it, and make sure it stays in place by putting a hoseclamp over it.

Then again, the dummy sensor thing is pretty tempting too... I just cringe at the idea of something hanging down in to the intake that doesnt need to be there, mucking up the airflow..

If you can't find a plug that will fit, you put a silicone intake coupler over that section of pipe and be done with it. Also spectra performance makes a kit with lots of different sized plugs for use with their intake kits and such.

Permanent solution to this problem: Called K&N and it is $61 for a replacement intake tube with no extra holes :)

That sounded like a way better solution.

I would have gotten a bolt slightly bigger, a tap & die for the new threads, and just plugged the hole with a little Loctite over the bolt threads.

There are also those carbon fiber body repair kits that would have filled in the hole nicely.

How about just a simple rubber tire patch? Not the plugs but the patch, scuff up around the hole and use the rubber cement to hold it in place.

Dan

I was afraid of stuff falling in the tube, so I didn't want to use RTV. I had a plastic plug like in the MAC intake from above, but it actually got worn out around the edges.. That is what prompted me to order the replacement tube. I just couldn't find a solution I was comfortable enough with. The inner tube patch might have worked, as would a coupler over the area and clamped at both ends...

Back