Noise comming from front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise comming from front end

Mothatrucka

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
There has been a deep noise comming from the front right side of my 95 explorer. I replaced the cv axle because the boot was badly torn and needed to be done anyway I was hoping that would fix the problem but it has not. The sound sounds like some type of bearing that has gone but I cannot figure out where it is comming from. The fast I go the louder the noise gets. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the unit bearing for play when you replaced the cv axle? I've had a similar problem but I've been to afraid to check it yet $$$. Could also be a bearing in the diff I guess.

What is the unit bearing? Once I got the new cv axle in i checked that for play and it didnt move at all. I hoping its not the diff in the front is there anyway to check that?

It's that entire assembly with the hub, bearings, and abs sensor. You have to replace the whole thing which is much more expensive than a rebuildable hub. The diff bearings are more involved to replace but cost $10-15 compared to $200ish for a hub. The hubs are more common to fail, however.

When I was doing the cv axle i remember turning the whole assembly after i removed the rotor and i herd I grinding noise should that have been a main indicator that i need a new hub assembly?

Sounds like the hub to me. Personally I would stay away from the $80 hub its probably cheaply made and not worth the trouble. $177 isn't a big investment when these things typically last 100k+ miles. O'Reilly's carries the same part as Rock Auto for $187 if you can't wait for it. Autozone also carries a Timken unit for around $165. Should have a year warranty from the chain stores too.

ok thank you that will be this weekend's project and hopefully the issue will be resolved

Back