• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag problem

ChadderMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Morrisdale, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I have an air bag code 37. I put the Snap On scan tool on it and it came back as a B1998 open Circuit passenger air bag. Any idea what would be causing the open loop and how do I fix it. I unplugged the air bag then I get a code 33. I figured it had to do with me unplugging the air bag so I plugged it back in. So how can I correct the code 37 open loop issue?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dumb question maybe, since you should disconnect the battery when working on air bags, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a half-hour to reset the PCM?

as mentioned, make sure you follow a "procedure" for disarming the bag before you "f..." around with it or you may get a "surprise". As for your problem check under the seat and ensure the connectors are good and connected.... but remember to disarm.

Air bag

I cleared the code twice with the scanner and it just keeps returning. I am out of town until Sunday evening so will check all the connection and remove the negative terminal to reset the computer. I will leave you know what I find or what happens if anything.

I've had the same problem with my '99 Explorer. There's a wiring harness & connector under the passenger seat (you can see it underneath from the rear). The connector is loose or just not making a great connection. I usually just push it together & the 37 code will go away.

It usually happens when my mother in law rides in the back seat behind the front passenger seat. she always seems to kick it & then it starts.

Fixed for now

Well, it seems the issue was a loose wire. I ran the seat on the passenger side all the way back and check the wires front and rear of seat and couldn't find the exact cause but messed with the wire harness in the back of the seat and the air didn't appear since and I even moved the seat a few times front and back and it didn't come back. I believe it was a loose connector and made sure they were tight. They are power seats by the way that I have.

Hi Chadder,

Talk about jinxsing it...my airbag light did the 3-7 thing today. I played with the connector while I was waiting for the train this morning, & when I got back tonite & drove home it was fine. I gotta figure out how to put my mother in law on the roof rack...

As another data point I have had code 37 issues on my 00 also. So far just playing with the yellow connector under the seats has fixed it.

air bag

When you figure out the how to tie the mother inlaw to the roof rack, let me know, ha, ha

I just came on here to post about this same issue. Pushing on that yellow connector fixed it. Cool beans.

Back