Replacing Clutch Fan with Electric | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Clutch Fan with Electric

CypherSTL

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I'm looking at purchasing the following from Summit Racing for my explorer.

Fan - 14inch

Wiring Harness

I have read on here in the past that I should keep the Ford Fan Shroud. Would that fan be sufficient and find a way to make my current shroud work?

Also been getting some mixed reviews, for the sending unit which type do you guys prefer, the thread-in or the Radiator Probe? Where would the Thread-In connect?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont get that fan it only puts out 1250 cfm and thats not enough!!ditch the shroud and get this fan same price free ship!!get the probe there is nowhere to screw into the intake unless you take out your temp gauge for you dash.make sure you put the probe about 6" down from the top on the side where the return water comes into the radiator
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I'm using a fan from a mid 90's crown vic. It's 19" across and covers most of the radiator without a shroud. Very thin and easy to mount on the radiator. $25 at the local junkyard, but they can also be found for $115 on rockauto.com

dont get that fan it only puts out 1250 cfm and thats not enough!!ditch the shroud and get this fan same price free ship!!get the probe there is nowhere to screw into the intake unless you take out your temp gauge for you dash.make sure you put the probe about 6" down from the top on the side where the return water comes into the radiator
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I was questioning the 1250cfm as well.

Will that also fit into the shroud? I guess I should have measured mine. I'm also going to assume I'll still need to pick up the wiring harness for it.

I was questioning the 1250cfm as well.

Will that also fit into the shroud? I guess I should have measured mine. I'm also going to assume I'll still need to pick up the wiring harness for it.

I don't know if it will,I don't think so it takes up the wole back.yea you will need to get one,I got mine at advance its a set temp at 185 it also has a remote wire for the ac.it was like 20 bucks.I also run a 7" one on the front that pushes 1200cfm but I have it wired to a switch in the car and only run it if my main one breaks or if im 4x4.it was only like $7 and is always a good idea to have a back up.I can give you the link if you want
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know if it will,I don't think so it takes up the wole back.yea you will need to get one,I got mine at advance its a set temp at 185 it also has a remote wire for the ac.it was like 20 bucks.I also run a 7" one on the front that pushes 1200cfm but I have it wired to a switch in the car and only run it if my main one breaks or if im 4x4.it was only like $7 and is always a good idea to have a back up.I can give you the link if you want
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure.

man the price for the 7" has gone up it,i paid $12 for mine not to long ago they are now $25 but he is the links anyways
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=d5cd5268836845edeef3e6e9cabea24b

and some teaser pic (rear)
16"zirgo 3000cfm
15nkr4j.jpg

7"siliconeintakes 1100cfm (front)
25ill5c.jpg

Not running into any cooling issues with not using the shroud?

Not running into any cooling issues with not using the shroud?

I haven't,with 3000 that thing really only kicks on for a min or two.it will suck a piece of paper on the grill,its strong.I do a lot of 4x4 on the beach too and it does fine
Posted via Mobile Device

Back