Troubleshhoting misfire and low EGR flow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshhoting misfire and low EGR flow

Mortis

Reaction score
City, State
CAL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer. Eddie B.
my explorer is a 2002 eddie baurer. w/ 4.7. and tow-package.
I have had thes two codes before.. low egr flow and misfire.
now upon removing the EGR valve , i found no carbon builtup..super clean.the diaphram works fine ..holds a vaccum,no leaks..the geen plastic tube to the sensor has no kinks breaks or leaks,..this low EGR flow code is the secong time i got this...went away about a year ago....
?????? sensor..how to check..this little bugger aint cheap.

now the misfire....replaces all plugs .wires are all good. only misfire at idle .semi-rough..not real noticeable at take-from from a dead stop. but noticable.. no head jerkin hesitation misfire..
when out of idle all is fine..no misfires at speed .

Seems to come and go.....

something sticking??

25 yrs experiance in mechanics.....been building muscle /hot rods for years as a hobby..but these computer.sensor cars...DAMN its a headache at times..lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try cleaning your dpfe with electric motor contact cleaner, then dry it with compressed air. should do the trick.

Without knowing specifically what codes you are getting it's hard to make recommendations. If it was P14xx than I suggest getting a new Motorcraft DFPE, which is about a 10 minute job to replace. The DFPE sensor can be had from online Ford parts sellers for about $50 shipped. They improved the design sometime after the 2002 model year. Aftermarket are about $35 but are more likely to fail again.

You should also have a look at Sybertiger's thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=217062 You could have a vacuum leak.

Good luck.

well i replaces the sensor..ran ok for about 10-15 miles..then st started again .now it kinda lopes...misfire under accel and at midrange accel @ around 2000 rpm 60 mph...and the eng.light flashes.the steady..
..eng will smooth out at a steady speed...but aint right.

i get the feeling it spark plugs but i just replaced them...it ran great for a week..then " eng light"
' again" flash..then steady. ...are these platnums crap?

Ok went out an bought myself an OBDII CODE READER.

this is what came up.

#1 P0304 generic #4 cyl misfire
#2 P0122 generic throttle positioning sensor cuircut low input.
#3 PO300 generic random misfires.

suggestions beside replaciong the obviuos 2 items...what could ALSO cause these code..if any.?

Brought mine in today for misfire at idle, and it was the coil that the spark plug sits on for cylinder #8. They charged me $67 to replace the coil and while they were at it I had them do a tune up for $179. Now if I could just get rid of this terriblw migrane life would be great.

well repositioned the #4 cyl plug AND coil to the #1 cyl.position..took it for a test drive after clearing .he codes. Smoother.but still some missing..did an accelerated take off from stop...got a blinking " eng light " at 65-75..decellerated to 55 and light went out. this happed twice.
rechecked codes..same codes..#4 cyl misfire and randome misfies..w a blinking "EV" code on the reader..
now the eng runs rough at idle..shakes.

shut eng down . cleared codes again.restarted and let idle..
eng light came on..same codes: po300,po304

:thumbdwn:

freezeframe data.
fuel sys. 1 CL
fuel sys 2 NA
Calc Load(%) 29.41
Eng RPM, 660
Ven speed 0

Back