Hey new guy here and in need of some help.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey new guy here and in need of some help..

erald01

Reaction score
City, State
canton, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0
Hi every one , just join the forum and wanted to introduce my self. My name is Eddie from Michigan and i drive a 1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer with a 5.0 in it. Love the truck because it has been good to me, but my problem lately is that my AC is not getting as cold as it should. It start acting up last september so i said forget it ill just fill it up next summer, so this summer came around and i went and filled the car at my boys shop with AC. So i got all excited to use it BUT still it blows very little cold air, not as cold as it should(just like the previous summer)....so far the things i have checked are: 1) i know the ac is working because the compressor in the engine is working when turned on. 2)the thing by the firewall in the engine (canister looking thing) is very cold when you touch it and it gets very very cold, so no AC leaks and i know evrything so far is working. 3) checked the valve in the engine, which opens and closes the gate for hot water to get in when heat turned on, and close the gate when the hot air turned off. So far thats all i have checked and they all work, so what do you guys think it could be....Thanx in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome eddie

Welcome! If the system is actually getting as cold as it should, and the blower is functioning well you should look at the following:

The evaporator core(inside the A/C heater box behind the glove compartment)
may be dirty preventing air flow thru it.

The 'blend door' (same place) might be staying in the heat position.

The electrical or mechanical controls may be at fault.
There are some threads on here related to some specifics if you search for them. Someone else may have some more specific info for your vehicle.

There is a simple bypass on here to move the blend door manually - spring
and fall- also some control repairs to avoid the cost of replacement.

Good luck

My bet would be the blend door....

isn't it just cool how someones name that has a Ex is Eddie=hint like in Eddie Bauer lol...just a thought anyway welcome aboard eddie .

Vote # 32 for blend door... :)

Welcome Eddie, ya fellow Michigander! :thumbsup:

Thanx a lot guys i am going to try and look at the blend door tomorrow, but the blend door is inside the evaporator core correct? Because there is another door that opens and closes when the heat is turned on which is on the corner behind the glove compartment.

I am having a hard time getting the evaporator core (the huge black box behind the glove compartment) to open, any tips? I have no idea where to start on this thing, how do you open it?

2.9L engine and 2.3L tranny

can anybody tell me if my 2.9L ranger motor will bolt up to my 2.3L ranger transmission? would be very appreciated thanks

the best bet would be to find the repair description on this forum. They have described and pictured how and where to cut an access door on the lower left section.

I don't imagine the case can be split with all the vehicle components in place
and the cost and labor to make it accessable becomes extreme. So the next best thing is to cut an access port in an accessable location.

I've seen the link with the pictures, If you search related to 'blend door' you should find it.

Back